Connection to Shared Printer

Super Scott

i have two PCs both running Windows XP Home Edition one is a desktop and the other is a laptop they are both connected to a LInkSys Wireless Router that is set up great and both are connected to the Internet, I ran the set up home or small office network wizard and that worked too ( i went to command prompt and typed
net view and both computer names came up on the same workgroup) ................... i have the hp deskjet 3650 connected to the desktop thru usb and i shared that printer........... when i try to install a printer my laptop i run the wizard and select that the printer is connected to another printer ...... on the next screen i select connect to this printer and type in the printer name which is \\COMP1\HPshare and it keeps telling me that it cannot find it or it may be spelled incorrectly (HPshare is the share name of the one printer installed on the desktop)

ZER0X

VIP Member
Can you search for the printer instead of typing the name....It probably needs for you to search the LAN for the printer so actually search for it not just type the name..................thats if you can :)

Super Scott

Thanks but I've tried that

I try to browse for printers on that machine and it wont show up.... could all of this be because each computer is set to get an ip address automatically(i don't know if the microsoft networks would have a problem if the ip addresses change) last night i typed in net view in the command prompt and both computer names were shown and this morning i'm getting an error so now it's even worse off ............any ideas????

da_ezman

Try Add Printer, Network Printer, click on the second option down (connect to this printer), don't put a name in and hit Next. This should cause a browse of the network. The computer that the printer is set as local should show in the browse results. If the printer itself doesn't show up, double click the computer the printer is connected to and double click on the printer.
That should do it.

:cool:

Super Scott

thanks but i've also tried that....

I tried that last night and when i double click on the computer that it's on the hour-glass just pops up and waits a couple minutes and doesn't show me anything..

Grimulus

if you are trying to use a printer that is hooked to a desktop I don't think you can do that. You will have to either 1) get a router with a print server or 2) buy the little network thing for the few printers that have that capability for about 400 bucks.

you'll find the printer I imagine but I dont' think you will be able to use it.

da_ezman

Well, my network is set up using a LinkSys 4 port Router/Switch. Printer is connected to one of the computers via USB cable. On the host computer, printer is set to share with the default share name. On every computer on my network, I did network wizard and set Workgroup to MSHOME on all.
I followed the procedure I outlined and every computer on my network has located the printer. All pooters are using WinXP Professional.

:cool:

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Have you tried to browse the desktop from the laptop, find that shared printer and double-click on it?
Because I'm lazy, this is the way I installed the printers in our company's network... :)

Tony2004

Are absolutely sure about the Xp firewall being off becasue i was sufferig the same problem and i thought that the XP firewall was off but if you go to advanced on the network adapter and untick the local area network box thats if it is ticked. This solved the problem for me.

Super Scott

Thanks a lot..........

Thanks a lot Tony it wasn't the Windows firewall but it was the Zonealarm firewall but taking care of that solved the entire problem.

Thanks for the help....

Scott :)