• Maybe, if the price is low enough

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 18 36.7%

• Total voters

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
It's very nice that it's Socket 775, I think that will be a huge plus for current Intel users with that socket. This means they dont need a new mobo, just pop in the new CPU and your good to go. With AM2 on the other hand, you need a new mobo.
Actually it more than likely does mean a new mobo. The core logic in the chipsets can only support so much through the BIOS. 915 and 925 boards although LGA775 don't supoprt dual cores.
me said:
Keep in mind AMD will probably come out with a new core design soon after the AM2 launch to compete with conroe.
This was a misleading statement, as apj101 mentioned, there isn't anything anything interesting on the AMD roadmap yet. That said AMD will be looking to start a new design, they can't ride K8 for too much longer.

Again to those of you who think it's an unfair comparision (conroe vs a current A64), it is and it isn't. It is in the sense that it's new technology compared to old, it isn't because AM2 only adds DDR2. DDR2 only brings bandwidth to the table, AMD operates on low latency (hence the integrated memory controller). DDR2 800 has enough bandwidth to hide high latencies but then I suspect performance will be about the same as AMD currently gets with DDR400.

apj101

VIP Member
cromy said:
I suspect performance will be about the same as AMD currently gets with DDR400.
yeah, i think early whipsers show an improvement of about 3-5%. Not the greatest for a new socket launch.

helmie

dragon2309 said:
got a surplus of cash lying about then helmie....?? i certainly dont, again it will be a case of the older LGA775 models being pushed down in price. This might not happen this time cos its said that they will discontoinue all models under the Pentium 4 920 model. Hopefully that one will become cheap.... I'll need a new board aswell.

dragon

:D nope, Very, very poor after the PSP. Ill save up for it loads, and sell the 650 for it too.

WWS

This is not comparing apples to apples anyhow. Dual core vs single core, Intels new architecture VS AMD's old architecture. Lets see how Intel new architecture holds up VS AMD's new architecture.

apj101

VIP Member
Lets see how Intel new architecture holds up VS AMD's new architecture.
What new architecture? they dont have one to compare against, and wont for some time. Give intel credit, they can make amds next gen as well as there own

b182tm

Can some of you AMD fanboys PLEASE tell me what you love so much about it? Do you have any actual reasons for your love of it?

helmie

b182tm said:
Can some of you AMD fanboys PLEASE tell me what you love so much about it? Do you have any actual reasons for your love of it?

Most likely because Intel hit a rut in recent years, ie Prescott etc. AMDs had better perfomance, they were cheaper, used less energy, and ran cooler.

Now we can see that intels are actually cheaper now (Mostly, just the X2 and upwards that are very expensive)

The heat issue is not so bad with the 6 Series and upwards, just the 5 series P4s that were damn crap.

And again, with the power issue, the X2s upwards use more than most intels (Prob minus the EEs)

Now with the new conroe, it is just like the AMDs. Its a whole new thing for intel. I bet if the tables turn and AMD go like intel did for a while, most will be changing to Intel.

So thats why i think there are so many AMD fanboys. Now there will be intel fanboys. Then AMD again. Thats just how the processor market goes.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
*pats his new Compaq* First off, I just got this beast so I'm not going to upgrade for another year or two. Second, I don't get hardware as soon as it comes out. That's just stupid because just like software, they tend to have bugs and such that are worked out in lator models... Take the 7800GTX for example :p And didn't the Pentium 66MHz have some flaw in it?

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
i will, but thats not spurred by the AM2 benchies coming out, i always was, not straight away thoguh, im not rich enough to do that, perhaps by christmas then yeh...

dragon

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
the main problem that AMD has right now is that it's architecture isn't data hungry... when AMD change their architecture to one that requires vast amounts of data we'll see an improvement in the benchmarks that justifies the use of DDR2... until then those that want an AM2 system will just have to wait

tweaker

VIP Member
Exactly, current AMD chips isnt short of memory bandwidth at all, which is why DDR2 wont improve their performance by any significant amount.

Last edited:

Crazydude185

lol maybe this new conroe will be better then the pentium 4 at school =p... but I dont understand why u would have to get a new mobo for it..?

Last edited:

helmie

Crazydude185 said:
lol maybe this new conroe will be better then the pentium 4 at school =p... but I dont understand why u would have to get a new mobo for it..?

It depends if the Mobo manufactuers release a BIOS supporting conroe.

Conroe is LGA775, but I think the only chipset that defo supports it is Intels 965 chipset (Not sure)

I think I sould be OK, I read that it is most likely that there will be something for NF4 boards.

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Yeah

tweaker said:
Exactly, current AMD chips isnt short of memory bandwidth at all, which is why DDR2 wont improve their performance by any significant amount.

DDR2 is a marketing trick which is likely to help "sell" better. Remember that most consumers simply go by whatever they perceive as being better. Naturally DDR2 sounds like a continuation of DDR...and the ordinary Joe will buy that instead. It's simmilar to what frequencies of processors do to many people. They see an AMD processor and then an INTEL one. The INTEL processor has a higher frequency and they go for that. It (DDR2) may not help in terms of performance, but it's a smart marketing tool for selling more ;)

JAN :D

Geoff

VIP Member
me? upgrade to Intel? naw....

we'll see if AMD can pull through with their AM2 processor, hopefully they'll have something up their sleeve, if not then i guess i'm sticking with INTEL :p

i don't think it is that much better, and it is pointless to upgrade IMO

are the conroes quad-core?

Keep in mind AMD will probably come out with a new core design soon after the AM2 launch to compete with conroe. As far as I can tell AM2 will only be a memory controller update so there isn't going to be any performance gain (AMD performs as it does because of low latencies, DDR2 wont help them). I'll upgrade my current P4 system to a conroe but that's because AMD isn't giving me any reason to change by adding DDR2.

I'll be switching to Conroe if it still holds up against AMD :p. Can't keep up with all this new hardware and competition!
Sigh...

I don't usually bump such old threads, I was just searching through the threads and came upon this, I always found it interesting to see what we all said about a product before it's release, and to look back on it. :)

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Since I'm relatively new, I enjoy reading the old ones. Yes, I agree. It is interesting. :)