considering building a pc

Brenna

hi,

I am not sure about building a pc yet. I am not sure if I should just save up some money for a mac or just go with building a pc.

I am not a gamer. i will be using the computer mostly for internet, burning movies and music, and some, not a lot of programs.

I would deeply appreciate some help.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Agree, better off doing a PC. For what you want to do, it really would not take much of a build. How much are you wanting to spend. If you dont have a OS you need to factor in that expense too.

kurby

I agree with Gary1 You will be paying a premium on the hardware, software, and service. Also, the time to replace parts in a MAC is longer and more tedious. Building your own PC will let you choose your own price and you can build it to be highly upgradable allowing it to last longer. Parts are easily swappable which will cut down your maitenance cost.

Brenna

okay next question, should i build from scratch, or just piece by piece, upgrade my existing pc?

claptonman

okay next question, should i build from scratch, or just piece by piece, upgrade my existing pc?

We'll need to know your specs on your current computer to see if there's any worthwhile parts. If nothing, the hard drive and CD drive are probably still good.

Brenna

HP pavilion p6000 series

Microsoft windows 7 64 bit

6gb ram (i think)

550 GB hard drive

foxconn amd rs780L

amd phenom ii (tm) X4 830

2.8 ghz

thats all i could find, lol. so sorry. maybe starting from scratch would be good.

Benny Boy

HP pavilion p6000 series

Microsoft windows 7 64 bit

6gb ram (i think)

550 GB hard drive

foxconn amd rs780L

amd phenom ii (tm) X4 830

2.8 ghz

thats all i could find, lol. so sorry. maybe starting from scratch would be good.

What's that one not doing for you?

Benny Boy

for internet and movies, that is a good enough computer. I'm guessing you've never reformatted and reinstalled windows? That would be the first thing to do if you're experiencing slowness.
Yep. And if you got an ssd for the os it would seem like a new comp.

Brenna

okay. one word - Microsoft. I sorta hate windows. with a passion you don't wanna believe. also, I want to have a computer with 1 Tb and a much better sound system.

also, sometimes programs run funny on this computer. also wanting to use an external hd but not sure how to yet. thanx.

cabinfever1977

buy large amplified computer speakers(u know 2 speakers and a sub)plug into built in audio,u wont noticed the diffrence between built in or soundcard

buy a usb external 1 tb hardrive,plug into usb port