Considering building my computer now instead of buying, any tips?

mdawgpearson

New Member
Hey guys, you might remember my previous thread in which I asked you guys if this would be a good computer to buy. The thread is here http://www.computerforum.com/170253-buying-first-gaming-computer-opinions.html.

Well now I am thinking about just buying all the parts from Newegg and then taking the parts into a local computer company and having them assemble it.

So now on to the questions.

1. They said it would be about 50$/hr to assemble it, they said it should take about an hour to an hour and a half.

Does that seem right?

2. If I have them assemble it I would have to install the OS, drivers etc. Is that hard to do? Would I have any trouble doing that?

3. Do you think that this is smarter than buying a pre-assembled computer from cyber power?
 
1) That is reasonable. just get them to put it together and power up. windows itself (windows 7) is quite easy to install.

2) it's very easy to do yourself.

3) of course it's smarter!
 
1. They said it would be about 50$/hr to assemble it, they said it should take about an hour to an hour and a half.

Does that seem right?

About right. It takes a little longer the first time - b/c you are more deliberate and making sure you have everything in the right place.
2. If I have them assemble it I would have to install the OS, drivers etc. Is that hard to do? Would I have any trouble doing that?
Can you install an over the counter application like Microsoft Windows onto your PC. It's really not that much different than that. Windos 7 gets most of the drivers - after you're fullly built - you can go on your equipment mfr's site and download the latest drivers - but most will be done by Win 7.

3. Do you think that this is smarter than buying a pre-assembled computer from cyber power?

Personal choice. I prefered to build it myself - and the PC is no longer a mystery to me. If something needs upgrading - replacing - I know for the most part exactly where to look - what to upgrade or replace. Or at a minimum know where to get the info I need now.

If you're on the fence
" building the perfect PC " is a book that walks you through a build in detail - and there are plenty of online guides complte with pics to walk you through it.

For Online Illustrated Build a PC guides - I like This one.
 
1) That is reasonable. just get them to put it together and power up. windows itself (windows 7) is quite easy to install.

2) it's very easy to do yourself.

3) of course it's smarter!

About right. It takes a little longer the first time - b/c you are more deliberate and making sure you have everything in the right place.

Can you install an over the counter application like Microsoft Windows onto your PC. It's really not that much different than that. Windos 7 gets most of the drivers - after you're fullly built - you can go on your equipment mfr's site and download the latest drivers - but most will be done by Win 7.



Personal choice. I prefered to build it myself - and the PC is no longer a mystery to me. If something needs upgrading - replacing - I know for the most part exactly where to look - what to upgrade or replace. Or at a minimum know where to get the info I need now.

If you're on the fence
" building the perfect PC " is a book that walks you through a build in detail - and there are plenty of online guides complte with pics to walk you through it.

For Online Illustrated Build a PC guides - I like This one.

Yes, I wanted to install windows 7 on to the machine.

I am just scared of buying all of these parts then they get here and i'm like fuuuu i don't know what to do. I guess I could always try to do it myself, I mean as long as i'm careful I don't think I could damage the parts.

So now the question is what parts to buy! I would like to buy them at new egg

My budget is $900-$1200, this computer will be used mainly for gaming, so a good video card will be needed. That will be the most intensive thing I will use my computer for so do you guys need any more information to help me select parts. Oh ya an intel processor pref. the I7. Sound good?
 
Back
Top