constant restarting

cyras21

My computer was fine last night. This morning when I turned it on it started up like it's suppose to but after the windows xp loading screen disappeared the computer restarted. Now it's in a never ending loop of restarting itself. I have not changed the hardware configuration and it will not start in safe mode, it freezes. Any suggestions?

The-Llamalizer

That kinda happened to me, except it all started with my games. First, every single game I had would get a blue screen of death, and then the computer would reboot. This excalated to the point where, when I shut the computer down, after loading windows, and flashing the desktop for a second, and BSD would appear and I would get a restarting loop such as yours. I ended up taking the computer into the guy who built it for me, and he reinstalled XP, and now everything is cool.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
cyras21 said:
My computer was fine last night. This morning when I turned it on it started up like it's suppose to but after the windows xp loading screen disappeared the computer restarted. Now it's in a never ending loop of restarting itself. I have not changed the hardware configuration and it will not start in safe mode, it freezes. Any suggestions?

I just recommended this on another thread:

Press F8 and select "Last Know Good Configuration"

diablo

restart your comp in safe mode and do a virus check. sounds like you got a nasty one. If that don't work then reset your comp to a previous point when you know yu rcomp was ok. last option you want to try is to reinstall.

ZER0X

VIP Member
I have not changed the hardware configuration and it will not start in safe mode, it freezes. Any suggestions?

restart your comp in safe mode and do a virus check. sounds like you got a nasty one. If that don't work then reset your comp to a previous point when you know yu rcomp was ok. last option you want to try is to reinstall.

He can't get into windows to do that

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Like ZEROX said he cant get into safe mode... and others have suggested everything from reinstalling the OS to the recovery console.

There is an order to troubleshooting your system and reinstalling the OS isnt the first step.

system restore will not work, safe mode will not work, so I would suggest the recovery console like b3n said.

COA:confused: doesnt that mean course of action? Do you have your windows CD? If you do, boot from the CD Drive, and use your windows CD... select R in the main splash screen and run through the recovery console.

diablo

sorry I didn't read that part. when you say it restarted what do you mean.

did the entire comp lose power then regain it real quick. if this is it then it may be a loose wire in the power supply. You PSU is turning off and reseting when the load gets to great.

If your comp doesn't lose power and actualy restart but the OS itself just keeps restarting then IMO i would do what SFR said and boot from OS CD

cyras21

Update

Ok, Computer constantly restarts...Safe mode locks up, I ran a virus boot disk BUT the partition ISN't recognized. COA means certificate of authenticity, the windows code, I lost that damn lil paper. FDISK can't find a partition but my hard drive is in a NTFS format. Does that matter? Thanks.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
cyras21 said:
Ok, Computer constantly restarts...Safe mode locks up, I ran a virus boot disk BUT the partition ISN't recognized. COA means certificate of authenticity, the windows code, I lost that damn lil paper. FDISK can't find a partition but my hard drive is in a NTFS format. Does that matter? Thanks.

okay duhh.. (COA) my bad. You do not need the certificate of authenticity to run Windows Recovery Console.

cyras21

I just tried the windows recovery. CHKDSK didn't find any problems. What will FXTBOOT do? Will I loose any info running this?

SFR

Truth fears no questions
I take it you tried "last know good configuration" in the advanced boot menu...
I know FIXMBR fixes the master boot record... dunno if that is your problem... I have not tried either, but I would recommend doing some research on both of those commands before trying them.

cyras21

Yeah, I've tried the last know good configuration and I also have Norton's Go Back which couldn't fix the problem.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
cyras21 said:
Yeah, I've tried the last know good configuration and I also have Norton's Go Back which couldn't fix the problem.

yeah so it is probably a disk or MBR error. I would look into exactly what FIXMBR and FIXBOOT do and try those two commands. Maybe someone else has had a similair problem, and can help. Or there is a simple solution we are overlooking.

cyras21

Also, right now I'm working off my backup hard drive, same computer. I tried plugging the troublesome hard drive in as a slave but it doesn't appear in my computer. Not sure what that means.

cyras21

Here's the lastest. If I start the computer with a boot disk, then the c drive isn't there, it's loaded with the normal stuff when formatting a new disk. If I start the computer from the CD Rom and enter into the windows recovery, than the drive is present and the following occurs. CHKDSK says there's no problems, MAP shows the drive. I can't run the virus boot disk because I have to do it from the bootdisk and the drive isn't present. Any of this makes sense?