Continually shutting down on start up

novicegeek

Hey folks, got a bit of a problem here. There was nothing functionally wrong with my PC. It worked fine, until I decided to address a few RGB issues and upgrades some new RGB stuff in it and put in a different fan controller. I did run into some problems with the 24-pin cable not being attached and the Molex cable hooked up wrong for the front panel, both which caused my computer to sit and do nothing when I pushed the power button; however, I got past those issues and finally got to a point where I could turn it on. A few seconds after all the pretty lights would come on and the fans would start whirring, the PC would shut down and everything went dark and silent. But then it would attempt to do it again. I didn't let it try past a third time, but I'm assuming it would have continued.

Well, thinking this might be a power supply issue, I unplugged my MSI GTX 980 4GB GPU and I actually got about five more seconds of running before it started the shutting down and trying to start again.

I have a Corsair CX750 OF RGB PSU, which I thought would be sufficent to handle everything. It's never had a problem before and I tested it today using a PSU jumper and it was fine.

Yes, I added a couple of things, but I only added an RGB GPU cover, some RGB cable combs for the 24-pin and 6-pin cables, (both of the 5 volt variety) but that's all the extra that was added. I did swap out a Reeven Four Eyes fan controler for a Kingwin fan controller.

Do you think I need an upgrade on a PSU, or is something more sinister afoot? On online search was somewhat helpful, but you are my go-to folks when an online search engine and I can't figure it out.

Thanks.

beers

Staff member
Undo the original action and then step by step re-implement until you get the same behavior again.

I wouldn't expect a 'sudden PSU failure' when you're modifying other components and experience issues.

novicegeek

I'll give that a try. And I would concur with your assessment of a sudden PSU failure. And additionally, as it's fairly new and I think has plenty of power for my set up, it' probably not likely - not that my opinion means a lot.

Thank you for your help!