convert windows vista to windows xp

Irishwhistle

Well, you have to buy XP from someplace like Newegg, then you just install it like you would any OS. So basically you can't really convert Vista to XP, but you can put XP on it.

peter_liu321

Well, you have to buy XP from someplace like Newegg, then you just install it like you would any OS. So basically you can't really convert Vista to XP, but you can put XP on it.

I bought XP, I knew I need to install XP, but before install, something need to be set, right? how?

peter_liu321

I think you just put in the disk and it will give you the option to erase vista, right?

I remember I helped a frend install XP in his HP a6000 last year, one BIOS option need to be modified, but I forget now, if you do not modify, window xp will not be installed like normally XP setup. I also got this info from web site last year, but I can not get it now. In addition, some drivers need to be downloaded like video card.

Irishwhistle

I remember I helped a frend install XP in his HP a6000 last year, one BIOS option need to be modified, but I forget now, if you do not modify, window xp will not be installed like normally XP setup. I also got this info from web site last year, but I can not get it now. In addition, some drivers need to be downloaded like video card.

Well you might need to change the boot order to allow the XP CD to boot... just put the CD drive before your hard drive and you should be set. :)

EDIT: You may have to download some drivers after it installs.

codeman0013

Also before you downgrade always check and verify you can get xp drivers some newer hardware devices do not have xp drivers and will not support the vista ones that one has come up a few times and caused me to rebuild vista pc's for people always check first.

peter_liu321

downgrade from vista to xp??

I tried downgrade from vista to xp at HP a6542.
When I setup using windows xp DVD, I got bule screen, then I run bios setup, modify SATA controller from RAID to IDE, run xp setup again, is ok, but at the screen that displays partition, it only shows C: 130 GB, (actually my hard drive is 650 GB), then I exit. what is the reason?

BrokaToe

You may need to delete the current partition on the drive then reboot and rerun the setup and opt to format the entire drive in NTFS format. Then try the install again, should work.

larryf215

since you don't seem to mind losing vista, why not try to re-partition, create a partition for xp and attempt
a dual boot. Of course when you repartition a drive with an OS already on it, you risk losing that OS but, you don't seem to mind this anyway.

Invisible Man

Yes please first format ur hdd and try to reinstall with xp but keep in mind that xp would not recognize some of the drivers. But to be safe make sure you download all the software and drivers from hp. Atlast hope you did a recovery disk when first bought that pc otherwise you have to order from hp the recovery disks.

konsole

just keep Vista, its not as bad as people are saying. I'm on Vista 64 bit right now and quite like it.

If you really want to install XP and get rid of Vista then you have to make sure that the cd/dvd drive is first in the boot order of the bios. Then just insert the cd/dvd and restart the computer and follow the prompts.

master iCe

answer to 1st question:
1. have a boot-able Windows XP installer ready

2. using Vista, check for 2 drivers
2.1. NIC/LAN Card driver
2.2 Video Card driver (if it is separate from your Mother Board)

3. Google and download the drivers mentioned above which is XP capable and save it on you thumb drive or an external hard drive

4.restart computer

5. keep pressing "delete button" (or whatever button indicated to enter SETUP) while your computer is booting

6.If successful you'll see the blue screen which is the set-up page

7.select BIOS set-up (this is controlled by keyboard only, no mouse pointer)

8.set 1st boot device to optical drive (CD-ROM or DVD-ROM)

9.restart computer

10.insert windows XP disc at hand

11.follow instructions when prompted

I tried downgrade from vista to xp at HP a6542.
When I setup using windows xp DVD, I got bule screen, then I run bios setup, modify SATA controller from RAID to IDE, run xp setup again, is ok, but at the screen that displays partition, it only shows C: 130 GB, (actually my hard drive is 650 GB), then I exit. what is the reason?

as far as i can tell your only 130GB of your HD(hard disk) have been labeled, and your missing about 600GB.