Converting 20pin to 14pin

dave1701

Can this be done. I have limited knowledge about stuff like this. My power supply blew up earlier, and I'm gonna move the motherboard to a different case with a different power supply. It's got a 20 pin end that plugs into the MOBO. This motherboard needs a 14 pin connector. Is it possible to wire up a 14 connector from the 20?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You must have an OEM motherboard and would need the OEM power supply that went with it. You need to find the exact replacement or i would say its time to build a new system.

This wouldn't be compaq/hp computer would it?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking it was HP/Dell that used the smaller mobo connectors. You either need to use the power supply and custom mount it in the case if its possible or build a new system.

dave1701

I want to build a new system. I want to use the Motherboard from computer with the broke power supply. I need to power it though. Is there some sort of 20pin to 14 pin adapter I can get? Sorry if I sound thick headed, but I don't really understand an OEM motherboard is. I just don't want to spend any more money.

Oh, I forgot to say. This is a computer I saved from the dumpster. I spent money to put a good video card in it, but the power supply didn't agree with that. I put had put new ram in there too. I could remove the motherboard and put it in another case, but it would still need power. I have a few 20pin power supplies lying around. Can I use those?

Last edited:

dave1701

Ok. So if I use this

http://freecircuitdiagram.com/pinout/1046/14-pin-compaq-power-supply-connector/

and this

this is a standard atx pinout
1 +3.3Vdc Orange
2 +3.3Vdc Orange
3 GND Black
4 +5Vdc Red
5 GND Black
6 +5Vdc Red
7 GND Black
8 PWR-OK Gray
9 +5Vdc
VSB
standby Voltage Purple
10 +12Vdc Yellow
11 +3.3Vdc Orange
{brown is 3.3Vdc
sense]
12 -12Vdc Blue
13 GND Black
14 PS-ON Green
15 GND Black
16 GND Black
17 GND Black
18 -5Vdc White
19 +5Vdc Red
20 +5Vdc Red

and connect the wires with the same voltage, would it work?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Technically yes, but anything can happen and if you wire it up wrong, there goes your mobo and possibly other hardware.