Converting HDMI to coax

OddBall

I want to send a video from my laptop out of my HDMI port and connect it to the coax port on my TV. Is there a converter that will let me do this?

OddBall

Why not HDMI in on the TV?
My TV won't send 5.1 audio to my A/V receiver if the feed comes from the HDMI port, but it will if the broadcast comes from the coax port. Also, hypothetically, it could be an older TV with a coax port but no HDMI.

Darren

Staff member
I feel like you're probably going to be better off running audio and video separately, be it HDMI for the video then audio out of the laptop. Does the onboard audio even support 5.1? Kinda doubt it.

OddBall

I feel like you're probably going to be better off running audio and video separately, be it HDMI for the video then audio out of the laptop. Does the onboard audio even support 5.1? Kinda doubt it.
The .mkv video file has 5.1 audio. My laptop does not have optical out, so I can only send 5.1 out of the HDMI port.

Darren

Staff member
The .mkv video file has 5.1 audio. My laptop does not have optical out, so I can only send 5.1 out of the HDMI port.
Regardless of what the file is if your sound card can't send 5 distinct audio channels it doesn't matter. It'll just mash it into a stereo signal (left and right). What's your soundcard on the laptop?

OddBall

Regardless of what the file is if your sound card can't send 5 distinct audio channels it doesn't matter. It'll just mash it into a stereo signal (left and right). What's your soundcard on the laptop?
The sound card is able to send all 5 channels. I've done it before.

Geoff

VIP Member
The video quality is going to be crap. Why not use HDMI for the video and use a 3.5mm to RCA adapter for the audio to your receiver?

OddBall

I don't know why HD would go to SD over the cable line. It transmits HD fine from my cable company. I want 5.1 audio.

No one has ever responded to my original question: does this type of converter exist?

Geoff

VIP Member
I don't know why HD would go to SD over the cable line. It transmits HD fine from my cable company. I want 5.1 audio.

No one has ever responded to my original question: does this type of converter exist?
Because your cable box uses HDMI to go to your TV, right? It's a digital signal that's processed by your cable box and then sent to your TV, the TV itself doesn't decode the signal.

Intel_man

VIP Member

What's the make and model number of your TV?

OddBall

Because your cable box uses HDMI to go to your TV, right? It's a digital signal that's processed by your cable box and then sent to your TV, the TV itself doesn't decode the signal.
About a year ago, I was using no cable box. I had the coax cable from the wall going straight to the TV, and I was able to get about ten channels in HD.

Darren

Staff member

I looked around briefly and couldn't find one. This is one of those situations you're best off going a different route than forcing archaic signal conversions.

OddBall

Any chance on doing the USB to optical out, external sound card route?
I guess I could do that, but then I would lose the coax port on my TV, which is what I originally wanted. The really strange thing about this issue is that my local cable provider, Cox, has manufactured probably millions of these small boxes that have an HDMI port and coax port on the back of them, converting coax into HDMI. I just want to go in the other direction, and I can't find a single box that does it. If you can go in one direction, I don't understand why you couldn't go in the other direction.

11429131_G.jpg