Converting To A SSD

I have an Asus U50A laptop. It still suits my needs, but I would like to upgrade a bit to a SSD. Currently, I have a Seagate 450GB/5400 RPM drive plugged into a SATA-150 port.

I don't really store anything on the HD itself, I usually put everything on the desktop that has 1TB of space on it complete with several back-ups for important files. So, the size of the SSD really isn't that important.

Would this upgrade be worth the price of admission?

Geoff

VIP Member
I'm a bit confused, your laptop only appears to have one hard drive, so when you say you put it on the desktop, where exactly is it being saved? Are you using an external drive?

I would recommend a 250GB SSD if you don't have much other than the OS and some applications on the laptop, but check to see how much you are actually using out of your 450GB drive.

Thanks. I meant that I really don't store anything on it. I only use about 50gb. Do you think it is worth the upgrade?

Agent Smith

Just make sure you turn off auto defrag in the hard drive properties if you use a SSD. Never defrag a SSD. If you're using only 50 GB than 250 GB is over kill. Get a 128 GB. I am using a 60 GB! LOL That's this laptop though. I have a 128 GB on the desktop I bought years ago, but plan on upgrading that.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I just put a crucial 60 GB SSD in my wifes 3-4 year old Sony Vaio and I have seen some serious performance increase. The computer boots in under 10 second with Ubuntu Linux, battery life has increased about 15 to 20 minutes (depending on use) and the computer produces less heat now.

Completely worth the investment, make sure you pick up a SSD that supports trim, this will ensure constant performance and will not slow down.