Cool Trick for AVG FREE Users.

Droogie

You know that annoying notification at the bottom of AVG FREE, saying upgrade now! to the pro version. Well I just found a way to remove that. Simply by renaming two files.

Open My Computer and navigate to:
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8
Locate the following two files:

avgmwdef_us.mht
avgresf.dll

Rename each file by adding .BAK to the end of each file name. Any change to the name will do the trick - you don’t have to use .BAK - it just stops AVG finding these files.

I suspect AVG may bring in a differently named MHT file at some point with a new message but the same trick should work on any new MHT file used in this way.

http://www.lockergnome.com/blade/2008/08/03/remove-avg-8-notification-area/

^^ I did not use the actual article on this page(because Vista wouldn't allow me to save a batch file), but if you scroll down you will see a comment, which is the quoted text in this thread.

dug987654

You know that annoying notification at the bottom of AVG FREE, saying upgrade now! to the pro version. Well I just found a way to remove that. Simply by renaming two files.

^^ I did not use the actual article on this page(because Vista wouldn't allow me to save a batch file), but if you scroll down you will see a comment, which is the quoted text in this thread.

Thats wicked, it's so annoying for all us cheapskates! Thanks

brycematheson712

Ha! That's awesome! I'm such a cheap skate also. I use AVG Free. I've never had it catch any viruses or anything though so it sort of makes me wonder if it's working. Has anyone had AVG Free actually catch something or warn them?

dug987654

I've never had it catch any viruses or anything though so it sort of makes me wonder if it's working. Has anyone had AVG Free actually catch something or warn them?

Yeah, I installed it on my parents computer and it found a couple of things in the initial scan. So it does work. If your careful on the internet like me (2 and 1/2 years of my laptop with nothing at all picked up - touch wood) then there should be no reason for it catch anything!

Kazoon

Ha! That's awesome! I'm such a cheap skate also. I use AVG Free. I've never had it catch any viruses or anything though so it sort of makes me wonder if it's working. Has anyone had AVG Free actually catch something or warn them?
I actually had it catch something just the other day. I was surfing the web and clicked on a link and some free game page came up and avg notified me that it caught some trojan so I moved it to the vault. It was win32/cryptor located in c:\program files\mozilla firefox\a.exe what ever all that is? But I feel better knowing that it caught it. As far as anything comming up wanting me to upgrade to pro I have no clue as to what you are talking about. It has never asked me to upgrade to pro.

apj101

VIP Member

not sure of the legality of this, it against the user agreement....but ill let in slide

brycematheson712

Yeah, I installed it on my parents computer and it found a couple of things in the initial scan. So it does work. If your careful on the internet like me (2 and 1/2 years of my laptop with nothing at all picked up - touch wood) then there should be no reason for it catch anything!

I can't even remember the last time I found a virus on my computer. It's probably been a good 4 years or so, literally. I don't do anything dangerous on my computer that would give me any reason too. I'm really careful with my downloads, I don't game at all (none), just the basic music, e-mail, and web. For the past 4 years, I haven't ever installed an anti-virus program. I do keep regular backups though just in case something critical ever does happen.