CoolerMaster HAF 932

Whisper91

Hello, new here. I recently decided to buy myself a new computer. My budget was around $1200, but knowing me, I would go overboard and double that.

So far I have only bought:

Speakers- Logitech X-240 2.1

Keyboard- Logitech G15 2nd Generation Gaming

Monitor- LG 23" Class Widescreen LCD

Case- Coolermaster HAF 932 Full Tower Chassis

And I am waiting for these parts to be shipped to me:

Processor- Intel Core I5 750 Quad Core Lynnfield LGA1156 2.66GHZ 8MB Cache Retail Box

Ram- Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M4A1600C9 8GB DDR3 4X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 9-9-9-24 Core I5 Dual Channel Memory Kit

Power Supply- Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX Active PFC 140MM Fan

Mouse- Coolermaster Sentinel Advance Twin Laser 8 Buttons 5600DPI USB with Adjustable Lighting

And I am looking at getting these parts in the future:

Motherboard- Asus Maximus III Formula Socket 1156 Intel P55 Chipset CrossfireX / 3-Way SLI Dual-Channel Dual-Channel DDR3 2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066Mhz 2x PCI-Express 2.0 x16 GigaLAN 8 CH SupremeFX X-Fi Audio 6x + 4x SATA 3.0Gb/s + 1x eSATA ATX

Operating System- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Video Card- Sapphire Vapor-X HD ATI RADEON HD 4870 2GB GDDR5 Dual Dual-Link DVI HD Audio Shader Model 4.1 800 stream processor PCI-Express 2.0

Hard Drive- Western Digital Caviar Black (WD1001FALS) 1000GB (1TB) SATAII 7200RPM 32MB Cache

Blu-Ray- LG CH08LS10 Black 8X/Blu-Ray Read /16X DVD-Writer SATA Lightscribe Retail

CPU Cooling- Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro REV.2

Sound Card- Creative Sound Blaster X-FI TITANIUM Fatality PRO

And here's what I have so far (you can see the crappy computer I am using now, down below)
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/1323/img1743c.jpg

I am not sure which Video Card to have, I want to run Flight Simulator X on it... I also heard that I need RAM more than I need a Video Card, is that true?

What do you think?

Thanks,
Whisper91

Last edited:

Fatback

VIP Member
Who ever told you that 8GB of RAM is not enough does not know anything about computer and you shouldn't take any more advice from them. 8GB's is more then enough most people will never even use all of 4GB's. Also you wouldn't see any difference in performance between 4GB and 8GB. Another thing is you plain on buying 32bit OS which is not going to do you any good. A 32bit OS can only use up to 4GB or RAM anything over that is just sitting there being unused. I suggest you either get a 64bit OS or RMA you RAM and get 4GB.

If your going to play flight simulator then I would not go for anything less the a 4890. Flight Simulator takes a pretty good graphics card to be able to max it out. A 4870 would probably play the game on high settings and get decent fps.With the 4890 you could play on very high settings.

bigrich0086

If your going to play flight simulator then I would not go for anything less the a 4890. Flight Simulator takes a pretty good graphics card to be able to max it out. A 4870 would probably play the game on high settings and get decent fps.With the 4890 you could play on very high settings.
Not true a hd 4890 is just a overclocked 4870 stock. I have played many Flight simulators all maxed out and never had a problem with my setup ONCE with the game lagging.

Fatback

VIP Member
Not true a hd 4890 is just a overclocked 4870 stock. I have played many Flight simulators all maxed out and never had a problem with my setup ONCE with the game lagging.

It may be but better is better no matter how you look at it.

I play Flight Simulator X and I get about 35fps on medium settings with my 4850.

ScottALot

To clarify what Fatback means about the memory is somewhat simple. It's not about the amount of memory, it's about timings, latency, etc... most people think that the size is all that matters, but that's 99% wrong. Unless you're doing some HD movie editing, best to find high quality memory over size.

Fatback

VIP Member
To clarify what Fatback means about the memory is somewhat simple. It's not about the amount of memory, it's about timings, latency, etc... most people think that the size is all that matters, but that's 99% wrong. Unless you're doing some HD movie editing, best to find high quality memory over size.

Nice explanation :good:

Whisper91

Who ever told you that 8GB of RAM is not enough does not know anything about computer and you shouldn't take any more advice from them.

I may have worded my sentence wrong. I wrote: "I also heard that I need RAM more than I need a Video Card, is that true?"

Meaning that I needed more RAM then Video Card, not that the 8GB wasn't enough.

I will be getting Photoshop and Premier for my PC too.

And I was going to get a 32-bit system because it runs on more games? This was not the same person who told me this.

What is the real difference between the two (32 and 64 bit). What could I not run on the 64 bit, but I can on the 32.

Thanks a lot,
Whisper91

P.S. I also like to point out (if you haven't noticed) I am a complete n00b when it comes to computers. So any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Fatback

VIP Member
I may have worded my sentence wrong. I wrote: "I also heard that I need RAM more than I need a Video Card, is that true?"

Meaning that I needed more RAM then Video Card, not that the 8GB wasn't enough.

I will be getting Photoshop and Premier for my PC too.

And I was going to get a 32-bit system because it runs on more games? This was not the same person who told me this.

What is the real difference between the two (32 and 64 bit). What could I not run on the 64 bit, but I can on the 32.

Thanks a lot,
Whisper91

P.S. I also like to point out (if you haven't noticed) I am a complete n00b when it comes to computers. So any help would be much appreciated.

I understood you sentence perfectly and like I said more RAM is not going to do you any good. 8GB is going to be more then enough for you to run photo shop and all that even 4GB would be enough.

If you get a 32bit OS then that 8GB of RAM is not going to do you any good as only 4GB will be used. Also almost every game is playable on a 64bit system. All the older games have had driver updates and patches to allow it to work with 64bit. All the new game work on both 32 and 64bit.

Check out this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946765 that should really help you to understand the differences between the 32 and 64it.

linkin

VIP Member
He means that for your video card not to be bottlenecked you need to have more RAM than VRAM.
say if you have a 1gb video card you need at least 1gb of RAM in your system otherwise the card will be bottlenecked.

Fatback

VIP Member
He means that for your video card not to be bottlenecked you need to have more RAM than VRAM.
say if you have a 1gb video card you need at least 1gb of RAM in your system otherwise the card will be bottlenecked.

I think I get what your saying now he wants to know if it is better to have more RAM on a video card then it is to have a better video card. Right?

Whisper91

^ I'm not sure, the guy just said that it is better to have more RAM then to have a good video card.

Wow, that explains a lot. I changed the OS to have it now at 64-bit.

I appreciate the help!... Is there anything else that you see, doesn't fit? Should I get a CPU Cooler? I followed it from this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA6NCKBcJ6U

And should I just get the 1GB 4870 and not the 2GB?

Thanks,
Whisper91

Last edited:

Fatback

VIP Member
^ I'm not sure, the guy just said that it is better to have more RAM then to have a good video card.

Wow, that explains a lot. I changed the OS to have it now at 64-bit.

I appreciate the help!... Is there anything else that you see, doesn't fit? Should I get a CPU Cooler? I followed it from this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA6NCKBcJ6U

And should I just get the 1GB 4870 and not the 2GB?

Thanks,
Whisper91

No that is not at all true the amount of RAM is not what makes your system or graphics card faster.

I have never used that Cooler before but I hear it is pretty good with the i5's.

lol why does that guy have a CPU out side in what looks like a public park.

Whisper91

Perfect, that's all my questions (worries)... for now.... answered, thank you all!

Last edited:

Whisper91

*Again, sorry for the double post*

A few more questions came up:

With the motherboard, it says "P55 Express Chipset" What is this?

Also with the motherboard, It says it is not "Windows 7 ready" So would I not be able to run Windows 7 on it?

And lastly, with the Video Card, what will the 2GB do instead of a 1GB VC?

Whisper91

Alright, I have bought everything except for my video card. I've done research and blah, blah, blah.

I found the following cards that I want:

BFG GeForce GTS 250
http://www.canadacomputers.com//index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=022084&cid=VDC.243.390

BFG GeForce GTX 260 OC MAXCORE 55
http://www.canadacomputers.com//index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=023667&cid=VDC.243.390

EVGA e-GeForce 9800 GTX+ SSC 512MB
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=021164&cid=VDC.243.390

Know I've looked at the specs, and I have narrowed it down to the 9800 GTX+ and the GTS 250. Apparently "they are pretty much the same".
250vs260vs9800.png

What I want to know is really, which is a better company, EVGA or BFG and maybe some more insight into each card.

Thanks!

*Oh... and for kicks, here's everything in their respectful boxes, waiting to be assembled.*
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/769/img1759p.jpg

Last edited: