cooling for an overclocked rig

Ryan Tegtmeier

Hi; I have a micro-ATX mobo and my CPU is an AMD FX-6300 3.5Ghz processor. I'm looking to buy a cooler for this build in which I can achieve a substantial overclock. Is it feasible? I just want a fan/heatsink cooler. I'm not looking to go water-cooled. My CPU is a 95W. My PSU is 650W. Upon attempting to overclock, Prime95 quickly raises the CPU temperature up past 65C on a mere raise of 200Mhz. Can you suggest a good cooler? I'm prepared to spend at least $60-85.

Deadpool

You need to tell us what case you got. Otherwise yours may not fit the coolers we suggest. If you have a mATX case then your options are pretty limited, when it comes to HSFs, and you need space for the radiator from the AIOs.

Give us make and model of your case.

By the way, the stock coolers are disgusting, so basically any overclock would give you stupid temps. Even no overclock at all. And the noise... God not again.

beers

Staff member
What method did you use to overclock? If it was an 'auto tune' or similar and you didn't clamp the voltage, most boards will auto overvolt the CPU for additional stability. The downside to that is it dumps out a lot of extra heat. 200 MHz itself should be pretty easily obtained via stock voltage and a multiplier bump.

mistersprinkles

-What case and what exact motherboard do you have? What fans do you have for ventilation in your case?
-Do you have the latest motherboard bios (if you dont know how to do this we can help)
-what kind of cpu cooler do you have now? Is it the one that came with the CPU?