? cooling my 3.2E P4

mike11d11

I just upgraded my processor to the prescott 3.2e, and been running idle 48c, but I like to burn dvd's and it seems to run up around 62c then i stop it, got a program that came with my gigabyte motherboard and warns me processor is hotter than 60c, dont know how hot i'm supposed to let it get? using a gigabyte 3d cooler, here is link on the specs http://www.giga-byte.com/Peripherals/Products/Products_GH-PCU21-VG(3D%20Cooler-Pro).htm# any suggestions on best way to keep cool and how hot i should let it get????

joelkyr

I had the same problem with my CPU P4 3.4HT, it gets too hot, 57C and still climbing, so I replace my stock intel CPU+ fan with Tt Polo 735 with a higher cfm, something like 70+ w/c is good for prescott, and I never had a problem after that.

MOBO: ASUS P4P800SE
CPU: P4 3.4HT
RAM: 1024/TWINX512-3200XL CORSAIR
HDD: 120GB MAXTOR/8MB
AGP: ATI Radeon 9200SE
SC: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz 5.1

Nephilim

VIP Member
Hi,

You Gigabyte HSF appears to be decent enough. How good is the airflow in your PC? Improving your airflow will give your HSF relatively cooler air and more of it allowing it to work more efficiently. I was a bit disappointed with my Polo 735 when I first installed it but by installing a more powerful rear fan in my case to increase the airflow past the HSF my CPU temps dropped to what I was expecting in the first place.

Encoding a DVD is extremely CPU intensive so your temps will rocket way up just as you've seen :)

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
If you want a proper cooling try this one: http://www.magaland.com/cpucooler.html. The CPU is cooled electronically based on the Peltier effect, the heatsink and the fan are just for cooling the TEC's hot side.
You can even upgrade your cooler with a Peltier module (http://www.web-tronics.com/pelmod4cmx4c.html): just put it between the CPU and the heatsink.
The only problem with this type of cooler is that the CPU could be overcooled when idle, causing moisture condensation.

mike11d11

well i have 5 fans on my case, in front, back, top and two on the side, thats not counting the two in the power supply. pretty sure i mounted the heatsink right. i saw some of those tec electric cooling devices on ebay but i was thinking the same thing about it producing water, how exactly would i avoid producing condensation, do they sell any type of air conditioning devices out there, , does anybody know of any good but cheap watercooling devices.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Encoding a DVD is extremely CPU intensive so your temps will rocket way up just as you've seen
...or you could encode them telepathically and burn them with your laser eyes... just make sure you squint so you avoid laser flares .... :D

well I have 5 fans on my case, in front, back, top and two on the side, thats not counting the two in the power supply
Its not so much the case that needs circulation but rather the CPU :)

If you want to go for a peltier setup, make sure you've got a proper power setup as peltiers need some trickery to get them kickstarted on power up ... for a P4E i would really consider anything short of a 90W unit