Cooling Options?

Stretch1414

For the past few days now, I have been considering getting one of two things. either a water cooling system, or more fans for my case. I have even considered getting both. However, school is in session now, and my homework load is not light, so I do not really get the chance to get on my computer very much. And I think that I would mainly need the fans for if I was going to overclock, which I plan to do more research on before I decide that I want to.

So I am wondering if anybody had any advice? Once basketball season starts in October/November, I will definitely not be spending very much time on the computer, but I know that it is always a good idea to have too much cooling than not enough, even if you are not going to use it for hours and hours on end.

If you recommend getting the fans or water cooling system, some suggestions would be great. I have the NZXT Phantom Orange w/ Black Trim, and I wish to go for orange LED fans if possible, although I might go for white LED fans and maybe just get an orange LED light cable.

salvage-this

I would get a good cooler for the 1090T and maybe a few fans for the case. Water cooling is overkill if you are not trying to push your system to it's max.

salvage-this

I have the perfect solution for you. I would recommend getting a H50 or H60 Water Cooling for your processor, and then use this fan for the radiator, and while you are at it.. just replace your current case fans with these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835213001

You will never have a overheated computer ;)

Over heated, no but it will sound like a jet plane taking off.

H60 is a good choice. Generally I recommend against the H series coolers because they have about the same temps as a good air coolers

I would say H60 or a good tower cooler. Then add some 120mm fans in the case to give it a good front to back airflow. Try to stay under 20-30 dBA for the fans.

tech savvy

Over heated, no but it will sound like a jet plane taking off.

H60 is a good choice. Generally I recommend against the H series coolers because they have about the same temps as a good air coolers

I would say H60 or a good tower cooler. Then add some 120mm fans in the case to give it a good front to back airflow. Try to stay under 20-30 dBA for the fans.

I agree and disagree.Most of the higher-end CPU air coolers will perform on par with the H series coolers on CPU temps. But however, air coolers tends to have higher case temps than water coolers.Air coolers just circulate the air around in the case, oppose to blowing it directly out the back/top vents on the case.

Stretch1414

Thanks for the feedback guys. I don't really care about how loud my computer sounds, I like white noise, it relaxes me. So with that extra information, any suggestions? Or the same ones? I still have space for a 220mm fan, a 200mm fan, and a 140mm fan(at least I think those are the dimensions).

Last edited:

salvage-this

Well if you do get the side fan (220mm I think) go for the H60 as it will take up a lot of room where a tower cooler would be. The 120mm fans that are in front do not need to be replaced for higher rpm fans. They will do just fine the way they are. Same with the 140mm and 120mm exhaust fans. Just leave them be.

So here are my 2 suggestions.
1. get a tower cooler and leave the rest as it is.
2. get the 220mm side fan and a H60.

Machin3

I would strongly recommend getting a Corsair H50 if you don't want to deal with water cooling. I've had it for two builds and its great. You don't have to change the stock fan out either because it works fine. I used it on a 1090t cpu and got like ~28 degrees C. Its very quiet and works like a charm.

If you want some extra fans, I could recommend getting some Cooler Master R4's as they are very quiet also.

Stretch1414

Thanks guys. Sorry I haven't been able to get on in awhile with school and all. So I'm not so sure when or if I should do this, but I'm liking the side fan with the tower cooler option. Also, what would be the best airflow? Like front fans intake and back fans exhaust? As I have fan controls and am not quite sure what would work best.