Cooling ???? Should I ?

sumik

K, for heatsink cooler i wanted to go with Zalman 9500, Thermaltake Big Typhoon is just too big. But I have a question, I also see Coolers for VGA and for HDD, should I get those too ? I have Thermaltake Tsunami case with 3 fans. The video card will b evga 7900GT and hard drive will b WD Raptor 74Gb 16mb 10,000. If yes cuz I'm worried about cooling is there specific VGA cooler for this card or all of them are universal ?

fruscai

well it depends what your doing with your comp, are you planning to overclock and if so to what extent, how many fans does your case already have, and about the VGA cooler, the one that would work with a 7900 would be a zalman zf700, excellent excellent cooling

Mr.Suave

the Zalman 9500 is great. i have it and its a big improvement from the stock heatsink. you might not need a VGA cooler. you'd need it if you are going to overclock the video card.

If yes cuz I'm worried about cooling is there specific VGA cooler for this card or all of them are universal ?
no, you need to get a VGA cooler that is compatible with the 7900gt.

Jet

VIP Member
The Zalman CNPS 9500 is a great cooler, I rate it 10+ out of 10 from my experience. Unless your graphics card is abnormally hot, you won't need an extra cooler. However, if you still decide to get one, the Arctic Silencer line is also a 10/10 for me. They are almost perfectly silent at 100% (I keep mine @ 100%, since I have other fans that are a little louder), and they exhaust the hot air directly out of the case, so your CPU, memory, and northbridge are cooler. Any more questions, feel free to PM me.

sumik

No, I do not plan to overclock

I have 3 fans stock in The case, plus Zalman 9500 for the CPU.

Thinking about VGA cooler and HDD cooler, also saw RAM heatsinks :)

U know, I'd rather b safe, those things are not expensive, if they'd b $100+ then I would need a lot of convincing. I wanted to go with Liquid Cooling, but I'm just too scared, one little mistake and u can destroy your parts.

fruscai

well as long as you are careful with water cooling, it should be no problem, you really dont need it though, or anything other than the cpu fan, as you dont play to overclock, just get a good program like speed fan or cpu-z to moniter the temperatures of your components

Geoff

VIP Member
If your not overclocking the stock VGA cooler is fine, as long as you have sufficient case cooling. The same goes with the hard drives, however if you see that your hard drive temps are above 40C, you may want to invest in a cooler.

If you're not going to be overclocking, all you really need is stock coolers (unless you live in a hot place). Even I'm OC'ing right now (not by much) on stock HSF, stock gfx card cooler, no mem heatsinks, etc. Water cooling is really only for really intense OC'ers, and should not be used unless absolutely necessary.

ceewi1

VIP Member
The 7900GT runs cool, there's really no need for an extra HSF short of volt-modding. RAM sinks and HDD coolers aren't required either. An aftermarket CPU cooler is an option, but not really required.

fruscai

computermaineack said:
If you're not going to be overclocking, all you really need is stock coolers (unless you live in a hot place). Even I'm OC'ing right now (not by much) on stock HSF, stock gfx card cooler, no mem heatsinks, etc. Water cooling is really only for really intense OC'ers, and should not be used unless absolutely necessary.

do you overclock your ram and vga as well, or just through the cpu and fsb?

Geoff

VIP Member
fruscai said:
do you overclock your ram and vga as well, or just through the cpu and fsb?
RAM is automatically overclocked when you raise the bus on the motherboard, but it doesnt overclock the graphics card, that has to be done in Windows with a seperate utility.