Core™2 Duo E6700 (4MB L2 Cache, 2.66GHz, 1066 FSB) = ?Ghz Single Core?

gchet

New Member
I recently just bought a new system with a Core2 Duo processor (Intel® Core™2 Duo E6700, 4MB L2 Cache, 2.66GHz, 1066 FSB), and I'm wondering if anyone knows what the equivalent SINGLE core processor would be?

The problem is that every single game I check out (and applications for that matter) lists the system requirements for single core but not dual, so I'm trying to figure out roughly what this would be as a single core so I know what requirements to look for.
 
The Core 2's aren't comparable to single cores as they never made a single core using the same architecture. The E6700 will outperform any desktop single core produced, so you don't have to worry about it.
 
[-0MEGA-];1029898 said:
The Core 2's aren't comparable to single cores as they never made a single core using the same architecture. The E6700 will outperform any desktop single core produced, so you don't have to worry about it.

Even my core 2 Duo (2.13) will outperform any single solution...
 
Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it! I used to be such a geek with this stuff, but I'm so out of the loop nowadays when it comes to new CPUs, wasn't even sure where to start on this. Guess I found the right place to ask :)

I'm also feeling pretty good about my new purchase after reading this... now if only the default card wasn't the ATI Radeon HD 2400 :P Feels kinda lame having such a beefy system with an entry level card (when it comes to gaming, that is). The 4 gigs of ram and 1.5 terabytes seem wasted, hehe.
 
as they never made a single core using the same architecture
For desktops, true, but there are single-core Core2 laptop CPUs out there (mine, for example). Which of course doesn't apply in this case, but I really felt like picking on you :P
 
[-0MEGA-];1029898 said:
The Core 2's aren't comparable to single cores as they never made a single core using the same architecture. The E6700 will outperform any desktop single core produced, so you don't have to worry about it.

thats not true. newer celeron processors use the core architecture...
 
For desktops, true, but there are single-core Core2 laptop CPUs out there (mine, for example). Which of course doesn't apply in this case, but I really felt like picking on you :P
I've heard of the Core Solo's if that's what you are referring to, but I haven't heard of Core 2 Solo's... You may be right though.

thats not true. newer celeron processors use the core architecture...
You are correct.
 
yea, its a different type of computing altogether.

this is the way i always saw it:

you have a train that moves at 80 miles per hour. well, with single core you have two trains. technically you can get many loads of people to their locations twice as fast, but if one person needs to go somewhere then the second train is useless. the person will still travel 80 miles in one hour.
 
I used to have a Pentium Dual Core 1.8GHz(amazing overclocker btw)...on another note when the Dual Core line first came out, Intel had released both Dual core processors, and solo core processors. What people found out later was the "solo" core processor was actually just a dual core processor with only one core running. So Intel actually sold defective dual core processors as there so called "solo core" line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core
 
Back
Top