Core 2 Duo vs Quad vs i3 - oldtimer needs some help

I'm going to need a new computer soon, and since I have a good ATX case and a Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 200GB hard drive, plus a few other good parts, laying around I thought I might just build another computer. The last one I built was an AMD K-233 about 10 years ago, so I'm not really up on current computer hardware. I do know we have a Core 2 duo computer at work that seems to be really fast. So I am considering mainly a Core 2 Quad, but also a Duo or an i3 for this build. any thoughts?

This will be replacing a Celeron 2ghz 2GB RAM computer which is used for non video intensive work, but with 10 or more firefox and internet explorer windows open at once most of the time that I have to switch between often.

Aastii

VIP Member
A Core2Quad will be plenty for that with at least 4GB of memory, because a single window open for a while will use a lot, 10 will be using a good few GB, with the OS on top of that, it will use up a very large amount of that.

I would say though that an i5 + mobo + DDR3 memory will work out at about the same price as a C2Q, even though C2Q is outdated, because the C2Q processors are still extremely expensive.

What parts do you have already, what would be the budget for the other parts, and do you have preferences for size, looks etc?

Will you need an Operating system, will you be able to build it yourself, and which country are you in

Budget is not firmly established, I'm trying to step up from the normal $300 walmart computer that I usually buy, but I don't want to go over $500 if possible. I will be buying a builders copy of Windows XP pro full version, and the parts I have are mostly old stuff from 2 computers I have. I figure the 200gb hard drive and case may be the only really up to date parts, although I can scrounge a DVD or CD burner from one of my current computers. I'm planning on 4GB or DDR2 to go with the Quad, if that's the final choice.

2048Megabytes

DDR3 memory is less expensive than DDR2 presently and it transfers data faster. If you haven't already bought Windows XP I would buy a Windows 7 64-bit operating system instead. It is better than Windows XP. Take a look at the following parts:

Athlon II X4 640 Propus Quad-Core (3.0 gigahertz) Processor - $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103871

GIGABYTE GA-M68MT-D3 Socket AM3 Motherboard - $51
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...454&cm_re=Gigabyte_AM3-_-13-128-454-_-Product

Super Talent 4 gigabytes DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop RAM - $59.50
http://www.compuvest.com/Desc.jsp?iid=1563291

XCLIO GOODPOWER 500 Watt Power Supply - $60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817189005&Tpk=XCLIO GOODPOWER 500

GIGABYTE GZ-X5BPD-500 Black SECC Steel Mid Tower Computer Case - $57
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811233039&Tpk=GIGABYTE GZ-X5BPD-500

those are some interesting parts....but, is there any real reason to get a new case? I'm hoping my old emachines T5212 Pentium D case will do the trick, it has some of my favorite stickers on it.:)

2048Megabytes

Your old case may or may not work. Original Equipment Manufacturers have been known to use cases that are built specifically for their parts. I would see if the new motherboard you are purchasing would fit in the old case before ordering a new one.

so, since I might want to go ahead and just get a new case to make sure it's compatible with an aftermarket board, would I be a lot worse off starting with one of Walmart's Zotac ZBOX HD-ID11 with Intel Atom d510 dual core? If that would give good perfomance for my needs, the small size would be cool, but if a regular Core 2 Quad or AMD quad offers a lot better performance that's the way I would go.

I think I'm going to just go with the Athlon quad core and the motherboard you recommended. I just thought the mini desktop look was cool, but I really need performance, and if I can get it with a $99 processor, I don't want to save a few bucks by downgrading to a lesser CPU.

AcetheGamer

An atom build would still serve you great if all you do is browse the net but that would limit your upgrade path if ever your needs changes.

Athlon II X4 640 Propus Quad-Core (3.0 gigahertz) Processor - $100

I just noticed newegg has this Phenom quad core for $5 less than the Athlon II - how do the 2 compare?

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor - $95

yes, I just noticed it's DDR2 instead of DDR3. the more I look into it, the more I like the recommendations from earlier in the thread, except for the memory. I think I'll get a single 4gb chip from Newegg instead of 2 2gb's.

linkin

VIP Member
No you want 2x2GB for dual channel, otherwise you only have half the memory bandwidth which affects performance across the board.

No you want 2x2GB for dual channel, otherwise you only have half the memory bandwidth which affects performance across the board.

hmmmm, that's good to know! so would there be any advantage in going with 2 4gb ram chips, or is 4gb total plenty of RAM for my monster office machine?

linkin

VIP Member
4GB is plenty for an office machine, it's the standard amount now really for most new computers.