Core 2 vs Core Duo

roy_rajat

What is the basic difference between these two processors. And has anyone tested out which one is better performance wise and upto what extent? e.g. would there be noticeable difference between a 2Ghz core Duo processor and 2Ghz core 2???

ezefosure

The core duos are better. I'm not sure by how much. But i believe it would be noticable. Not only that, but i believe that the core two duos can be overclocked a lot higher.
Plus, the core duos are basically two processors crammed together. The core two duos aren't.

Impr3ssiv3

The core duos are better. I'm not sure by how much. But i believe it would be noticable. Not only that, but i believe that the core two duos can be overclocked a lot higher.
Plus, the core duos are basically two processors crammed together. The core two duos aren't.

you have it totally wrong

the Core 2 Duo is the newest best proccessor from INTEL Core Duo is an old version and not as good

ezefosure

you have it totally wrong

the Core 2 Duo is the newest best proccessor from INTEL Core Duo is an old version and not as good

Sorry. I'm on my laptop. I forgot that the number pad doesn't work on the laptop anymore. I made a post sumwhere else on the forums about the keyboard being damaged.

The Core 2 Duos are better. They are faster and i think have a 40% increase in performance. The Core Duos were two processors being crammed into one. The Core 2 Duos aren't. I forgot the new innovations involved in them, it's been a while since i read all those articles on the new chips.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
They are faster and i think have a 40% increase in performance.
That's relative to a Pentium 4/D. Compared to Core (Yonah) it's more like 15% is the laptop world, the desktop advantage is a little more because of increased bus speed.

roy_rajat

Probably a naive question....what does the speed rating on the processor denote, i.e. a 2Ghz core 2 duo processor does it mean the total processor speed is 2Ghz or is it that each core has 2Ghz power so the total is 4Ghz?? what would be the extrapolation for a core duo?

ceewi1

VIP Member
The speed marketed is the speed for each core. You cannot simply sum the speeds however. A 2Ghz Dual Core CPU will not give you 4Ghz.