Core Duo not that much better?

fade2green514

lol i don't know enough about it, but 64-bit is going to be huge. 16-32bit was, i don't see why this wouldn't be.
also, what did your memory benchmark?

Geoff

VIP Member
fade2green514 said:
lol i don't know enough about it, but 64-bit is going to be huge. 16-32bit was, i don't see why this wouldn't be.
also, what did your memory benchmark?
around 3800, thats what sisoft says it does. When you overclock it dramatically increases memory bandwidth.

fade2green514

actually it was at 5800 at 2.0ghz lol
not to mention i o/ced the memory to ddr424 lol.
corsairXMS = win.
then when i oced to 2.4ghz it was 240x10, with a ddr333 divider... which was ddr400 ultimately...
still benched 5800.
now, i oced that little bit extra and turned the timings up and it benchmarks 6gbps lol. :)

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
fade2green514 said:
actually it was at 5800 at 2.0ghz lol
not to mention i o/ced the memory to ddr424 lol.
corsairXMS = win.
probably, cause the ram with mine is just generic.

But my CPU is excellent at multi-tasking and games. It doesnt lag up and games are very smooth.

fade2green514

yea... 3800mbps is really fast anyways... to tell you the truth i don't even need 6gbps, thats like 1/6 second to request my ram when its FILLED.
lol cause i only have 1gb.
my next upgrade will be to get 2gb... in a year or so... lol... probly gonna be some ddr500... SUPER fast. probly around 7-8gbps. :)
I NEED A CAR!

Last edited:

ro0kie

banned
i know this is kinda irrelevent to what you guys are talkin about but i noticed that the new core duo proc has a 478skt. does this mean core duo is compatible with my motherboard if i have a skt478? im currently using a p4 skt478 proc.

fade2green514

doubt it. its a mobile proc, they have made 478 mobos that are compatible with core duo though.
make a new thread next time. lol.

Geoff

VIP Member
The Core Duo uses the Intel 945 or 955 chipset, it cant run on anything older.

So to answer your question, not it cant. The P4 and Core Duo also use different archticture.

fade2green514

or maybe they have other plans for the name "pentium" ;)
haha i doubt it... but "conroe" would be comparable to "toledo" or "newcastle." thats like calling core duo "yonah." conroe could end up being called pentium 5 :) haha... duno tho.

Geoff

VIP Member
fade2green514 said:
or maybe they have other plans for the name "pentium" ;)
haha i doubt it... but "conroe" would be comparable to "toledo" or "newcastle." thats like calling core duo "yonah." conroe could end up being called pentium 5 :) haha... duno tho.
i wasnt being sarcastic, Intel really is dropping the Pentium name, and replaceing it with names such as "core" as in Core Duo, or Core Solo.

Modoman

[-0MEGA-] said:
wow, you have that totally wrong.

My cpu outerforms the A64 3200+ with ease, it actually outperforms the AMD X2 3800+.

Try getting a CPU score of 1530 in 3DMark06 with an a64, or 30sec in SuperPi with an A64...aint gonna happen. ( I also hold the forum record of 30sec :p)

Also, the Conroe is about twice as good as the X2 4800+ in multi-media benchmarks.
di2.jpg

rig in sig.

Geoff

VIP Member
what are you trying to show modoman? My score was 1530 for the cpu, lol. Your just helping to prove my point :p

Geoff

VIP Member
liquidshadow said:
14 more CPU points is hardly anything.
I know its not, but from what he said it made it seem like he was proving me wrong that Core Duo's arent that good.

i dont know much about the intel duo core but when i went to have a look at a system being built for me they steered me away forom the more expensive intel duo core into the cheapr amdx2 and they told me that a 3800+x2 would outperform any intel for gamming

and u guys shouldnt be so quick to judge something u havent actually seen perform let alone outperfome a 4800+ x2 u will never know until; u buy it imagine this they tell u allthese things and try to rpoove it with bogus bench marcks and u guys all run out to buy one but in the end it isnt that much beter in the first place until u have had one and seen that it outpreforms it then tell me that it will be 2x beter than a 4800+

fade2green514

"core duo not that much better" not... "core duo sucks"
either its different from "conroe"... or "conroe" isn't as good as it was thought to be. ("benchmarks" report about 50% increase in performance... when performance clearly shows that it could simply be the extra L2 cache)
core duo's are good, but it could be complimented with better hardware in a desktop, rather than a lappy. good proc tho :)
BTW my proc got an 1908 just now lol.... of course in another instance it got a 1800, and another a 2000 (???)
my score changes each time i run it, its not consistent at all...

Last edited: