Core i9 Mini Preview

aviation_man

AMD is gona have to step it up if this processor turns out to be half way decent. lol

Oh. And that SOB is gona run hotter than lava. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Kewl Munky

On tomshardware a while ago they said something about an 8 socket motherboard that can handle up to 128 threads so I'm assuming they will be releasing an 8 core along the lines of this series? 8 core i7/9 = 16 threads x 8 sockets = 128.

gamerman4

thats flippin crazy!!! there is no program that could use 128 cores.not yet anyways

Depends on what the program does. 3D rendering and video editing programs will use how ever many CPUs you have because rendering stuff like that is pretty much infinitely thread-able, which is why they have render farms with hundreds and thousands of CPUs working on a single project.

Kewl Munky

thats flippin crazy!!! there is no program that could use 128 cores.not yet anyways

How about multiple threads being ran by multiple programs/applications? The board is meant for servers I'm sure, just like the 4 socket board was socket 771 for intel's xeon server processors.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Intel has labeled the i9 Gulftown as a desktop chip. It will likely be their next "extreme" offering. With turbo mode, unlocked multiplier and all that other $999 shit. :p

Westmere_Roadmap.png

Last edited:

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is awesome.

But i think its all going over the top now with how many cores......wouldnt it be nice instead of having more cores shoved in there each time...to actaly have more ghz per core?

Say if we had a Quad core with all cores running at 4.5 -5ghz?

Surely that would gain more performance?

Maybe i just dont understand enough how a cpu works...or maybe Heat is the issue to why they cant do that but thats what im thinking atm.

Last edited:

bomberboysk

Not really, we are reaching the limits when it comes to clockspeed pretty much, everything is heading towards symmetric multiprocessing.

I wonder if this Clarkdale will allow that "iGFX" to partner with Nvidia or Ati offerings. Intel should also be releasing their new video cards soon and maybe the "iGFX" will have something to do with that like PhysX is for Nvidia.