Correct temperature?

bm23

My current CPU and cooling is as follow
i7 3770k @ variable speed on idle (1.5 to 3.9ghz), 4.5ghz while rendering 3DS Max
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
2x Corsair SP120 in push/pull config (Note: These 2 fans share the same fan port via a Y splitter)
Arctic MX4 thermal compound

I'm getting an average of 38-42C on idle and about 70C while rendering at 4.5ghz. Is that right? A lot of people who use the CM Hyper 212 report temperatures in the low 30s on idle.

Darren

Staff member
Seems kind of warm for idle but definitely not a concern. Your load temps are the only thing that really matters. I think my Phenom idled somewhere around there in the summer. This was also running at 4.0GHz at all times though and it's a vastly different chip than yours. Same cooler though. Is your voltage cranked very high? I don't really know if that dynamically controls voltage, but I imagine it would.

Also, gum would be perfection.

bm23

Haha, gum is perfection indeed :D

Yeah, I guess maybe it's the weather. It's summer all year round in Singapore. That said, I'm suspecting that the fans aren't being fed enough power since they share a port. I'll connect them to a molex and see if there's any difference.

Okedokey

Yeah, without knowing your core voltage or ambient temps, its hard to say, however a 770 and 3770k overclocked with 32gb ram etc, a 620WPSU may be a little on the light side too.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
My current CPU and cooling is as follow
i7 3770k @ variable speed on idle (1.5 to 3.9ghz), 4.5ghz while rendering 3DS Max
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
2x Corsair SP120 in push/pull config (Note: These 2 fans share the same fan port via a Y splitter)
Arctic MX4 thermal compound

I'm getting an average of 38-42C on idle and about 70C while rendering at 4.5ghz. Is that right? A lot of people who use the CM Hyper 212 report temperatures in the low 30s on idle.

Are you sure speedstep and all that stuff is enabled? If not, that causes the extra heat on idle. Knowing the voltage could also help us. Are you also getting a variable voltage?
How many programs are working in the background?

bm23

Could try lowering ambient temperature if you have an AC in your living quarters.

I do that sometimes when I'm rendering. Can't afford to have it on so often or my bill would go through the roof

Are you sure speedstep and all that stuff is enabled? If not, that causes the extra heat on idle. Knowing the voltage could also help us. Are you also getting a variable voltage?
How many programs are working in the background?

Yup, speedstep is enabled. My core voltage fluctuates between 0.888 to 0.900 on idle, very occasionally there's a spike above 0.900. On idle, I usually have Chrome and iTunes running, just a few programs in the background like avast, steam, all negligible i think. CPU usage stays at 2-3%.

Yeah, without knowing your core voltage or ambient temps, its hard to say, however a 770 and 3770k overclocked with 32gb ram etc, a 620WPSU may be a little on the light side too.

I'll see how I can get a thermometer to find out the ambient temperature. I'm not too keen on buying one just to use it once. As for my PSU, I've just bought a Corsair RM850 to SLI my 770.

Last edited:

Okedokey

I'll see how I can get a thermometer to find out the ambient temperature. I'm not too keen on buying one just to use it once. As for my PSU, I've just bought a Corsair RM850 to SLI my 770.

It doesn't need to be exact mate, simply put, do you air condition your house? if not its the same as ambient which will be the same as your weather forecast. If you aircon, then you should know. If you operate your PC in a closed room, add 10oC. Either way 70oC isn't excessive for that overclock, try and reduce the core voltage and that will exponentially reduce heat.

linkin

VIP Member
My 3570K at 4.4GHz can hit 70 or so during the warmer months, that's with the H80i and two AP15's

Calin

My 3570K at 4.4GHz can hit 70 or so during the warmer months, that's with the H80i and two AP15's
Sometimes when clocked higher than 4.5-4.6 my 8350 hits 90C and shuts down because that's the Vishera limit :p
On 4.5 I get about 80c.

bm23

Sure you got the CPU fans turned the right way? Have you got a side intake fan?

Yup, the fans are correct. My case is a CM HAF 912 with front 200mm intake fan.

It doesn't need to be exact mate, simply put, do you air condition your house? if not its the same as ambient which will be the same as your weather forecast. If you aircon, then you should know. If you operate your PC in a closed room, add 10oC. Either way 70oC isn't excessive for that overclock, try and reduce the core voltage and that will exponentially reduce heat.

Recent temperature in Singapore has been ranging from 26-33. I guess with such temperature, 42oC doesn't seem too high.

I've got another question though. I was playing Crysis 3 and saw that my GPU's temperature ranging from 63oC to 76oC, even hitting 79 for a short while. Is that normal? I'm using this card in SLI.

Okedokey

Yup, the fans are correct. My case is a CM HAF 912 with front 200mm intake fan.

Recent temperature in Singapore has been ranging from 26-33. I guess with such temperature, 42oC doesn't seem too high.

I've got another question though. I was playing Crysis 3 and saw that my GPU's temperature ranging from 63oC to 76oC, even hitting 79 for a short while. Is that normal? I'm using this card in SLI.

If you're getting 16 - 11 oC delta that is fantastic so don't worry.

The GPU temps are fine, thats well within the operating temperature. Anything above 85oC for those GPUs and you should take action, but that simply means replacing the thermal paste, cleaning the fans, increasing the fan speed etc.... You'll find the top card will get 5 degrees warmer or so.

bm23

If you're getting 16 - 11 oC delta that is fantastic so don't worry.

The GPU temps are fine, thats well within the operating temperature. Anything above 85oC for those GPUs and you should take action, but that simply means replacing the thermal paste, cleaning the fans, increasing the fan speed etc.... You'll find the top card will get 5 degrees warmer or so.

Phew, that's 2 less things to worry about. Thanks for your help! Really appreciate it :good: