Correct XP 3000+ Clocking? Help plz!

tristan

Hrmm.. that temp is a little high for being underclocked. Try setting your FSB to 166 and mulitplier at 13. Check the temp and if it is above 60 turn it off and clear the cmos and report back. Personally I would take off the thermal pad that came on it and put a thin layer of that paste on, it will be a little more effective. but you really need to get your hands on some arctic silver 5. It makes a big difference. You should also look into a better HSF. But lets see how it runs under stock speed.

Hurley97013

I made a mistake when i was installing the cpu that could be a cause of my high temp. I damaged the thermal compound on accedent becouse I mis read the directions as this is my first time building a comp. It said there will be a cover or a thin film over the compound and i thought it said there will be a cover AND a thin film over the thermal compound. I started picking at the corners of the thermal stuff looking for a film cover. I know that it says that if it is damaged in any way replace it but i though if i tryed to do that i would mess it up even worse. so do u think that could be a cause of higher temps? or is it not a big deal?

Last edited:

tristan

Just go ahead and scrape off the pad that was on there. Rub it down with alcohol and any that is on the processor should be rubbed off. Squeeze a little drop onto the little chip (enough that when mashed will cover the small chip it sits on). Replace the heatsink and make sure it is properly seated. Check your temps then.

Hurley97013

I need to order some stuff off new egg so I will go ahead and buy some arctic silver 5 and use that stuff. I might as well go and replace the HSF aswell, any reconmendations?

droach75

Hurley97013 said:
It said there will be a cover or a thin film over the compound and i thought it said there will be a cover AND a thin film over the thermal compound. I started picking at the corners of the thermal stuff looking for a film cover.

i did the same also

EMO-TOCROSS

Um randam post, but its really hit my curiousity. I just built my own computer about a week ago, and supplied it with a AMD ATHLON XP 2500+. Now, I do know that overclocking makes it faster/hotter. But what i dont know, is what performance boost will you notice when your actually running the computer? Like what will you notice run faster/smoother. because maybe I should be overclocking mine a bit if its some of these little issues Im having. Thanks -

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Now, I do know that overclocking makes it faster/hotter. But what I dont know, is what performance boost will you notice when your actually running the computer?
Short of a 400MHz+ OC you probaby wont notice much really LOL; anyone who's formally studied computer archietcture and design etc can tell you that the bottleneck is your memory rather than your CPU. You shouldnt have a problem OCing the XP2500 by 400Mhz but try it and see :)

tristan

Yes, with that setup you can overclock it quite a bit. You have adequite cooling and good equipment to do so. Im not sure how far you can get with that ram setup. Is your ram running at 400? Ive seen people overclock their rig with the same equipment as yours to a 3200+.

Hurley97013

I just installed my new Polo735 and OMG! Amazing! A little loud but amazing! My temps were in the high 40's idle, now they are in the mid 30's and ~40 under load. I bought and used that artic 5 stuff aswell as a couple new case fans. I am extremely happy w/ the results and cant wait to see how high I can clock my cpu. :D

Last edited:

Hurley97013

Im having trouble increaseing the core voltage. My Soyo Dragon KT600 Plus wont let you cange any votage configurationin the BIOS. Is there a way to unlock that or a different way to increase the voltage? :confused:

tristan

also what is the chip information. If it is a newer chip they locked the multipliers with those so you have to check the date of which it was produced.

Hurley97013

No i havent updated my bios... actually I dont currently have a Floppy Drive installed. When you talk about cpu temps I assume you are talking about the temp on the die, right? Is 60 degrees a good temp to keep it under?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
also what is the chip information. If it is a newer chip they locked the multipliers with those so you have to check the date of which it was produced.
This shouldnt affect the motherboards ability to tweak voltages would it? ;)

Is 60 degrees a good temp to keep it under?
Yes. If it consistently goes over 60ºC then you need to look for additional cooling techniques, if it goes over 70°C ever, thats cause for panic :)