Corrupted file on a burned DVD

CaptainTrips

Hi all,

I have a DVD with a handful of large video files on it. I'm copying them to my hard drive to play because my poor DVD drive is on it's last legs. One of them can't be copied to my hard drive. I get the generic error of "Can't read the source file or disc" with the options of "Try again" "Skip" and "Cancel." Clicking "Try again" just results in the same error after trying for around 3 minutes.

Upon further investigation, the video file plays fine from the DVD. It just refuses to be copied. The video file is missing the last two minutes, I don't know if it's though corruption, or something else.

Can someone recommend a good program that can retrieve corrupted or incomplete files? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
It's probably what you already said; your DVD drive is on its last legs and just can't copy the video.

CaptainTrips

Well, I say it's on it's last legs because it can't spin a disc up past 8x without making some scary noises and turning blank discs into coasters. It will do a low speed operation pretty easily, such as watching a DVD. When my friend gave me the DVD he told me that the last video had the last 2 minutes cut off, so I am assuming that it wasn't cleanly cut off somehow. Sucks that I won't see the ending. C'est la vie.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Use CopyCat to copy damaged file(s)...

vcs-copy-cat-1.jpg

It always worked for me when copying damaged files.

spirit

Staff member
I'd recommend using another DVD drive to copy the files if you can since the one you're using is damaging discs.