Corrupted files

morninboozer

My son got a hold of my key board and pressed a few keys. After that I tried to use it and the computer froze. I rebooted the computer and it gave me three options for restarting. There was two different options for safe mode and restart normally. I clicked on restart normally and was able to make it to the home screen and it froze again. I restarted again and it came up with a different screen saying there was incosistantcies with the disk (see picture number one). It kept freezing every time and eventually prompted me to a startup repair screen (see picture 2). That also kept freezing as well. Called best buy geek squad and they said it's probably a corrupted file. And to bring it in with the operating system disk and they would repair it for 150$. So I tried putting in the disk but it would not read it. I went into setting the next time I started it up and changed the CDROM to the first choice for rebooting. Still keeps freezing. Not sure what I should try next. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    564.5 KB · Views: 5

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, agree that it sounds like a bad hard drive. What brand of drive is it? And for heavens sake, don't go to geek squad as they will just rape you. It's not a corrupt file.

Agent Smith

Yep, hard drive. There are some tools you can try to recover data. One of them is Linux based though and requires some commands in terminal to install. It's called Ddrescue GUI. I just tried different programs myself including Ddrescue to try an recover files from a dead SSD I have.

morninboozer

Also, don't know if it's worth mentioning but I just had the hard drive replaced at the beginning of last year. Put a new operating system on it and got almost a year of use out of it. My brother had it before and he had an issue with the hard drive after having it for a few years. That's why he have it to me.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You have to find out what brand of drive you have first and then use that drive manufacturers disk diagnostic utility to test the drive.

Western Digital - Data lifeguard tools
Seagate - Seatools

If other brand let us know and we can direct you to the correct tool.