Corsair SSD vs VelociRaptors in RAID 0

jevery

Did a fresh install of Windows 7, installation of the drive was no different than a regular SATA hard drive.

Single Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB

HDTest-2C.png

Four Barracudas in Raid 0+1

HDTest-2B.png

Intel SSD

HDTest-2A.png

Arrived with outdated firmware 2CV102HA - Update to current 2CV102HD, (TRIM support), wasn't difficult. Burn ISO image to CD, boot with the CD, run DOS update program.

Write is slower than my RAID array, though I figure that as far as responsiveness is concerned, read speed is all that really matters.

It seems worth the money after using it, IMO :good:

funkysnair

VIP Member
New Intel X25-M 80 SSD

Boot time - button to desktop from 1:30 to :45

Disk Data Transfer Rate Score from 6.0 to 7.7

WindowsPerformance.png

WindowsPerformance-1.png

Average Read from 107 mb/s to 222

HDTest-1.png

HDTest-3.png

Wow, single best upgrade I've ever done. Glad I went SSD. Thanks funkysnair :D

Hey im glad you like it- the performance is good isn't it?

Geoff

VIP Member
It would be useful to me since I transfer lots of RAW camera files back and forth, which usually take 5-10 minutes as I have hundreds of 25MB files that need to be moved.

Flaring Afro

I just bought the intel yesterday :D Gonna just put my current 500gb drive in the second slot of my asus. I'm going from vista on a 5400rpm to win7 on a ssd. Why asus decided a gaming laptop should have a 5400 drive is beyond me...

87dtna

SSD's are awesome. The ACCESS time it's whats very low on SSD's. .1 ms access time VS 10+ ms for spinning drives.

I had two 500gb seagates in Raid 0, a single SSD was faster reading and writing, and of course demolished the access time. Boot up is what was noticeably faster, nearly 1/2 the time from POST to desktop. And once you see the desktop, it's done loading already LOL. Playing games, you spawn the fastest with an SSD, and just everything in general comes up faster when you click on it.

You can always do what I did too, if down the road one drive seems to be slow, later on you can always buy another and raid 0 the two SSD's. My three SSD's in raid 0 pull 545 mb/s read and 465 write speeds.

attobenchmark.jpg

Last edited:

jevery

The real question that always comes to my mind is does it open 100 firefox tabs faster?

Yeah, I'm guessing it would. Hey what happened to the busty avatar? Put it back please. :D

I just bought the intel yesterday :D Gonna just put my current 500gb drive in the second slot of my asus. I'm going from vista on a 5400rpm to win7 on a ssd.

You're gonna love it. Some good info here. If it comes with firmware version 2CV102HA, update to 2CV102HD.

Hey im glad you like it- the performance is good isn't it?

After conversing with you, I got to comparing specs between the Intel and the Corsair and decided that the Intel was the way to go. Wish I could have got a 120 Gb version though. Still, everything essential is loaded and I've only used 27 Gbs so far.

My three SSD's in raid 0 pull 545 mb/s read and 465 write speeds.]

Now that's serious fast.

87dtna

Now that's serious fast.

Yeah with an I5 at 4ghz also everything pretty much just pops up instantly LOL.
My I7 860 should be here tomorrow :eek: Guy said it does 4.7ghz at 1.50 Vcore on air WITH hyper transport on. Sweetness, superpi contest here I come! Watch out I7 920's!

With SSD's in Raid it almost literally doubles the transfer rates. With spinning drives, you get like 1/2 again for another drive.

Twist86

Yeah, I'm guessing it would. Hey what happened to the busty avatar? Put it back please. :D

I dunno I like this one, besides I get to see her every day on another forum :p

You know one thing I would love to find is a program that cleans all the crap from Windows Vista/7 aka remove all the crap you will never use such as devices/printers/scanners etc. I checked out the vlite method but its way over my technical skills :p

Last edited:

newgunner

IMO. I would choose the SSD and get a cheap 500GB HDD for storage. Sure sustained speed is arguable between your options but the snappiness you get from a SSD is irrefutably more enjoyable. I would never EVER think twice about an SSD over a HDD for a main drive ever since i experienced it first hand.

Gabe63

If you were going to buy 1 Intel 160 G SSD would you buy 2 80 G SSD's and run them in Raid? Are there any reliability concerns with this? Would this cause other issues (I have no examples of what issues these might be).

I am going to go SSD and was considering the 160 just so I can run most programs on it at higher speed instead of just the OP system. I also figure my favorite game, NFS Shift, would have no delay between races.

87dtna

I would run raid, how much reliability issues would you have with an SSD? They are much more reliable than standard spinning drives.