Corsair XMS2 Overclocking

Kornowski

VIP Member
So my timings are bad? The default voltage for my RAM is 2.1, the BIOS has it set to 1.9v and it works fine... What should I do?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
You can either leave it as is, it's not exactly that much worse, we're talking low single digit % or change it to 4-4-4-12 and either see if it runs at 1.9V or up it to 2 or even 2.1V. 1.9V should be plenty for DDR2-667 @ 4-4-4

ETSA

For reference, we have the same memory. I have my timings at 4-4-4-10, and will probably try to get it to 4-4-4-8. 800mhz is fast, the default timings, are, well, ok. So, IMO, lowering the latency is a better way to OC for the time being with your (and mine) memory..

Kornowski

VIP Member
So you think I should set it to 4-4-4-12, and it would give me 800Mhz?
Is that all I need to do? What do you have your voltage on?

Also, my RAM has the heatspreaders on and it says 4-4-4-12 on them, why would it say that if they aren't 800Mhz sitcks?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
They should have the speed on them, it might be buried in the model number. But CPUz read the SPD table and it has nothing in it for 800MHz so I'd say it's safe to assume they are DDR2-667 modules not DDR2-800.

Kornowski

VIP Member
On the side of them it says:

5400C4
4-4-4-12
675Mhz

I'm thinking with the timings written on the side, they're be the best ones to set it to, right?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I just checked the datasheet for it. 675MHz (so use a memory modifier) 4-4-4-12 @ 1.9V. I think you already said it's running at 1.9V already so just set the timings and it's running as it's labeled. The faster timings will get you a bit more performance and there's not much point in not running them as advertised unless you are lazy :p

Kornowski

VIP Member
What's a memory modifier?
Yeah, the BIOS has it set @ 1.9v, However, Corsair Recomend have it running @ 2.1v, which would you go for? Yeah, so the 4-4-4-12 timings will get better performance, plus they have a lifetime garentee, so... :p

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
What's a memory modifier?
Yeah, the BIOS has it set @ 1.9v, However, Corsair Recomend have it running @ 2.1v, which would you go for? Yeah, so the 4-4-4-12 timings will get better performance, plus they have a lifetime garentee, so... :p

I was thinking the same thing...lifetime garentee.....:D

Jet

VIP Member
On the side of them it says:

5400C4
4-4-4-12
675Mhz

I'm thinking with the timings written on the side, they're be the best ones to set it to, right?

I have the 2x512MB version of those, and they almost reach DDR2-800 with 4-4-4-12 and 2.1V, but they can't quite. Mine will run at DDR2-840 5-5-5-15 at 2.1V. I would suggest leaving them at DDR2-667 and 4-4-4-12 at stock voltage (1.9V).

Kornowski

VIP Member
So does changing the timings and the voltage increase the speed of the RAM?
So, I'll leave the voltage @ 1.9v and change the timings from 5-5-5-15 to 4-4-4-12, will I notice a perfermance increase?

Why does Corsair recomend 2.1 for the voltage?

Geoff

VIP Member
I know, it's amazing isn't it! :D *virtual high five* :p
I just read too, they're 100% tested and working @ 1000Mhz :D:D

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/xms8500/

This seems to suggest that 5-5-5-15 timings are faster than 4-4-4-12?
4-4-4-12 is faster then 5-5-5-15 if there at the same speeds, but it looked like those tests had a faster clock speed on the 5-5-5-15 timings, so thats probably why.

So does changing the timings and the voltage increase the speed of the RAM?
So, I'll leave the voltage @ 1.9v and change the timings from 5-5-5-15 to 4-4-4-12, will I notice a perfermance increase?

Why does Corsair recomend 2.1 for the voltage?
Lowering the timings increases the relative speed of the RAM, but increasing the voltage along wont do anything. And if you're lowering the timings to 4-4-4-12, I would bump up the voltage to 2.0v.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I know, it's amazing isn't it! *virtual high five*
I just read too, they're 100% tested and working @ 1000Mhz
Guys you are looking at the wrong RAM there. Yes it's still XMS2 but it's a different model. You don't know that your DDR2-667 will hit 1000MHz DDR. I was looking at the wrong datasheet earlier and the one for your RAM (CM2X1024-5400C4) is 404ing, you have a different model number so the voltage is probably different. 1.9V is plenty for 4-4-4-12 unless you are trying to run it at 800MHz DDR then use 2 or 2.1.

The memory modifier, maybe called multiplier I don't remember what it's called in Gigabytes BIOS, is how you set the speed of your RAM manually based on the speed of the FSB (266 x 2.5 = 667).

Kornowski

VIP Member
Right, I'll try it @ 4-4-4-12 with the stock voltage, how will I know if I need to raise it?

So, the timings and maybe the voltage it all I need to change?

Geoff

VIP Member
Right, I'll try it @ 4-4-4-12 with the stock voltage, how will I know if I need to raise it?

So, the timings and maybe the voltage it all I need to change?
If it doesnt boot then the problem is probably because of the voltage. If you can boot into Windows, then run a memory stress testing program for a while to ensure that it's stable.

Geoff

VIP Member
You probably wont notice it at all in games or apps, but you will see a difference in benchmarks, specifically ones that are memory intensive.