Cortana (win10) for Android?

Dimitri

I got a "new" phone, and S3 now :)

But, as I say, it's not that the app doesn't work, it's that I can't find it in the app store on my phone, but I can on my desktop.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I got a "new" phone, and S3 now :)
I'm trying to tell you an S3 is 5 years old and isn't compatible with cortana!!! You want to run all these latest and greatest things but you forget that it requires somewhat new technology to do that.

Edit - Cortana requires android 4.4 or newer to run.

AlienMenace

Can you update the OS on your S3? If so do it. The S3 came with possibly 4.0 Ice Cream or the 4.3 Jelly Bean. Some phones can't be upgrade to new os like my ZTE Stratos phone, It has the 5.1 "Lollipop". I think Straight Talk is stopping it.

_Glitch

Ether root the phone and install a newer version of android or try install from an apk file outside of the play store.

Dimitri

I'm trying to tell you an S3 is 5 years old and isn't compatible with cortana!!! You want to run all these latest and greatest things but you forget that it requires somewhat new technology to do that.

Edit - Cortana requires android 4.4 or newer to run.

Well, I tried it now on a Samsung J3 running 5.1.1 and still no Cortaina.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Shows up on my S8+. When you search for cortana, whats the first thing that shows up in the search?

Dimitri

Shows up on my S8+. When you search for cortana, whats the first thing that shows up in the search?

I get Google Allo, then Arrow Launcher... seems like a few days ago the first thing was something from Microsoft, something like Microsoft Apps or something like that.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It should say Microsoft Cortana - digital assistant. Its also possible that cortana needs at least 2gb of ram the S3 and J3 only have 1 and 1.5gb of ram respectively.

If it doesn't show on search then its not compatible with that phone for some reason.

Dimitri

A smart thing about android is we can just send you the link. You hit download and a download command will be send to your phone. If you click the link from your phone, it will open in the play store app.
If it's not compatible it will say right there on the page that your device isn't compatible. Easy.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.cortana&hl=en

I followed the link and it says the app is not available in my country. Any workaround?

_Glitch

Sorry, didn't see that you have replied.
You can try using a VPN software to trick the play store into thinking you are in USA.
Still don't think the play store will allow you to download it because of your version of android.

You can also try downloading it from another source.
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/micro...2-9-6-1976-enus-release-android-apk-download/

You will have to enable "unknown sources" which allows you to install apps from places other than the play store.
I'll recommend disabling it again after you have install it.