Could I do this?

Des_Zac

I don't believe so, as I usually just use the browser that's up when I get on the computer.. If there's nothing up then I use Chrome. But lately I only use Chrome.

computer

That's very weird, though, since you have used different browsers. Have you tried downloading the Ubuntu ISO image through Firefox? I mean, I really can't think why it would do that.

Des_Zac

No I haven't, but If it fails after today then I am just going to download it after I get Comcast..... I just hope Cricket isn't stalking me right now and stopping it just because I'm ripping on them XD

computer

No I haven't, but If it fails after today then I am just going to download it after I get Comcast..... I just hope Cricket isn't stalking me right now and stopping it just because I'm ripping on them XD
lol

And, yeah, I guess you can always wait until Comcast gets installed. It would be less frustrating and so much more rewarding.

thesam101

Hi Des_Zac

surely we are straying off the issue. lol

Anyway. As its ubuntu you can run it as a live CD if you wish. By the sound of your original post, that would be sort of what you were trying to do.

Not really understanding what you want to do really though, if you just want a new HDD to have ubuntu on it. Burn the ubuntu ISO to a disc (burn it as an ISO, use a burning program, like ashampoo burning studio free, my personal favourite ;))

and then, put the new HDD into the computer you want to use it in,

and then, on that computer, put the ubuntu CD into the CD drive and boot from it (either using the boot menu by pressing F8 or equiv at boot, or by changing the boot order in the BIOS) and install to that HDD. :)

Des_Zac

Yes, but the problem I'm having is that the cds I have are only 700mb and thats all I can find. DVD-Rs are 4.7gb, and I'd use them but the old computer I'm trying to work with only has a cd drive and I don't plan on upgrading it as I'm working towards getting pieces for my main computer.

Note: I am torrenting it as we speak... I'm seeing if I can get it that way (It's supported so it's not illegal!)
since the normal download hasn't worked for me in the past.

computer

Yes, but the problem I'm having is that the cds I have are only 700mb and thats all I can find. DVD-Rs are 4.7gb, and I'd use them but the old computer I'm trying to work with only has a cd drive and I don't plan on upgrading it as I'm working towards getting pieces for my main computer.

Note: I am torrenting it as we speak... I'm seeing if I can get it that way (It's supported so it's not illegal!)
since the normal download hasn't worked for me in the past.
Does your old computer have at least one USB port? Because you can also install Ubuntu through USB.

Des_Zac

Yes, I went out and bought a usb drive just for this occasion too! :D But I think I may have broken the computer so It might not be of much use now.... But as soon as I get my new computer parts that's what I was planning on doing.

computer

Yes, I went out and bought a usb drive just for this occasion too! :D But I think I may have broken the computer so It might not be of much use now.... But as soon as I get my new computer parts that's what I was planning on doing.
Definitively do so. USB's are less of a hassle.

thesam101

Isn't it against the rules to talk about torrent, and downloading os's? Something screams illegal here.

Torrents are legal, as is downloading a free OS using them. using torrents to download copyright protected material is what is illegal, the actual process of torrenting is perfectly legal.

And for the ubuntu ISO, its only 685MB so will fit on a 700MB CD fine. I have one lying next to me lol ;)