Could It Be the Vid Card?

nitemistress

Unfortunately I can't give you specifics but my mothers old computer just up and one day out of the blue refused to show anything on the monitor. I switched monitors 3 times with the same result each time and I'm pretty sure that all 3 monitors didn't just decide to break down on the same day. Is it possible that it is the video card finally giving up or is there something else that may be at fault?

I would like to get it and network it to mine but if it's the vid card then I'm pretty much out of luck until I can afford a new one.

Any thoughts on this appreciated but don't ask for system specs since I don't have them here, sorry.

Flash_AAA

Well you have the monitor plugged into the video card so my bet is thats the prob. Do you know of anyway your can test your card?

nitemistress

No, none that I'm aware of anyway. I have an even older vid card in my box of computer parts that I've thought about putting in but I think I should just wait til I can get a completely new one. I guess I just wanted to verify that the vid card was the most likely culprit and not just my twilight zone luck and that all the monitors had indeed gone down together. Thank you!

72montecarlo

I wouldnt just jump to conclusions like that and assume its the video card right away. It wont hurt to put an old video card in the computer to test it. you really should because if something does show up then its safe to say the other video card is toast. right now you have no solid anything that its the video card. Do you still hear the computer go through the normal boot up procedures and whirring sounds as if it was loading? any bios beeps?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
- Check the memory too! I
- Try removing and resetting the video card?
- If you're around Waterloo (or even heard of it :p) I could have a look