Could my mobo be dead?

ABonel33smidget

Ok, I am talking about the mobo in my sig the first one. So far I have tested the ram, dvd drive, video card, not the hdd but one that works with it. All those things work, The only thing I have not tested is the cpu and the serial ata hdd. Everything turns on and sounds correct. I have checked plenty of the cables.... but still when I go to turn it on everything lights up and fans power up but nothing on my monitor. I have tested two video cards on it, one that deffinityl works. So from this do you think my mobo could be dead, or is their something else wrong I am doing? Thank you for the help.

geek 0001

yes it is going to die. you could try to tap it the pc a bit (on the motherboard side) but that will only work a couple of times.

Last edited:

jimmymac

VIP Member
is this or a new build or something thats been working previously?

I only ask because on my current build i made the mistake of putting my 2 memory simms in the same bank of slots and it wouldnt post, moved it so i had one in A1 and one in B1 and it posted fine. Foolish mistake but you never know!

LithiumSunset

ABonel33smidget said:
Ok, I am talking about the mobo in my sig the first one. So far I have tested the ram, dvd drive, video card, not the hdd but one that works with it. All those things work, The only thing I have not tested is the cpu and the serial ata hdd. Everything turns on and sounds correct. I have checked plenty of the cables.... but still when I go to turn it on everything lights up and fans power up but nothing on my monitor. I have tested two video cards on it, one that deffinityl works. So from this do you think my mobo could be dead, or is their something else wrong I am doing? Thank you for the help.

If the fans power up but no video, it could be that the CPU is not seated right. Pull it off the board and reseat it along with the HSF. Also, make sure the HSF is plugged into the correct port on the board and not directly into the PSU. Might not be a bad idea to reset the BIOS once you've reseated the CPU and fan. If this is a new build, I doubt it's the motherboard but, never know.

One thing that just came to mind, are you getting a post beep at all?

ABonel33smidget

It is a new build. And I have made sure the cables are in correclty and everything else ( the ram ) I will try to reseat the cpu and see if that works. And no I am not getting any beeps. I have plugged the speaker that came with the case in correctly and even tried it uncorrect but I have not gotten a beep out of the computer yet.

I can also go and test the cpu at a friends house to double check and make sure that is not the problem if someone thinks that would be a good idea.

k this once happend to me my power suply got loose and the fan didnt worck and it over heated and nothing apperd on the monitor but it was on the second thing u should try is ur monitor i also had a problem with my monitor not wrcking havintg to buy a new one if its noe of those its is defenitally ur mobo and it will die question is how old is it and how long was it garanteed for

ABonel33smidget

It hasent been used. ( my mobo ) It is a brand new build that has not worked since I put it together. And as for the monitor I am using it right now.

ok call the companie and complain because its a new build u usually get 1 year coverage minimum from any part u buy but if u over clocked ur system u have voided ur warantie so test all ur parts find wich one doesnt worck and claim on ur warantie u might have to pay shipping at worst unless u overclocked but by the sounds u havent had the chance so try that worst case senario ur mobo might not be compatible with ur cpu or ur video card

LithiumSunset

ABonel33smidget said:
It is a new build. And I have made sure the cables are in correclty and everything else ( the ram ) I will try to reseat the cpu and see if that works. And no I am not getting any beeps. I have plugged the speaker that came with the case in correctly and even tried it uncorrect but I have not gotten a beep out of the computer yet.

I can also go and test the cpu at a friends house to double check and make sure that is not the problem if someone thinks that would be a good idea.

Yeah, if your not even getting a post beep than that usually means the CPU is not seated right or the HSF isn't connected/working properly. The other thing it could mean is a dead CPU.

MadModder

1. Make sure that everything is connected and make sure it is connected tightly and nothing is loose.

2. If you really have checked everything (to your knowledge) then take it apart and start from scratch, I've had problems like this a lot and re-building the system has fixed it.

I still have my doubts about your mobo just being "dead", and I really don't see how
you could try to tap it the pc a bit (on the motherboard side) but that will only work a couple of times.
would really do much.

ABonel33smidget

Well I will try some of these suggestions and see how it goes, hopefully I just plugged something in wrong because I hate sending things back...

geek 0001

MadModder said:
1. Make sure that everything is connected and make sure it is connected tightly and nothing is loose.

2. If you really have checked everything (to your knowledge) then take it apart and start from scratch, I've had problems like this a lot and re-building the system has fixed it.

I still have my doubts about your mobo just being "dead", and I really don't see how

Quote:
you could try to tap it the pc a bit (on the motherboard side) but that will only work a couple of times.

would really do much.

It worked for me when My motherboard was playing up. I would swich the pc on and nothing would come on screen. reboot it again and nothing and it was only when I turned it on and gave it a whack then BINGO, IT WORKED!!!

Edit: ok so it did keep coming up with the blue screen of death while i was working so I threw it away.

Last edited:

Dr Studly

banned
geek 0001 said:
ps. try to say motherboard as opposed to "mobo," it's confusing :confused:
ok, dude, w/e... it isn't confusing...

LithiumSunset said:
Yeah, if your not even getting a post beep than that usually means the CPU is not seated right or the HSF isn't connected/working properly. The other thing it could mean is a dead CPU.
i don't think it would b tuning on if it wus a dead CPU

smething like this happened when building my dad's PC... lol, forgot to lock the card with the safty lock on the darn APG slot...:eek:

ChrisHarris

Could the CPU bew heating up and shutting down if the heat sink isn't properly seated?

I heard that a CPU will heat up to the point that it's too hot in just a few seconds without a heat sink. Maybe it's shutting down from over temp?

ABonel33smidget

Another thing I have not tested on my mobo is the mvp card. I was just thinking about it.. could that be bad? when I got my mobo it was not in the anti static sleeveing. If it was bad would I get nothing on the screen even with a working gfx card?

WinCrazy

From the symptoms you described it sounds like the problem could be one of several things - a bad processor (very rare) or a bad power supply which is much more likely. A significant number of supplies are bad off the bat, so try swapping it out with a known good one if you have one. Or the mobo could be DOA.

BTW, if the CPU wasn't seated correctly the pins would have been mangled beyond repair and the HSF probably wouldn't seat properly, if at all. If the processor was seated OK but the HSF wasn't then the system would begin to start up properly but would shut down in about 5 seconds due to over-temperature.

Last edited: