Could someone clear this up for me?

brycematheson712

I'm running a Dell Dimension 2350 (in my sig). I mainly only use it for music through iTunes. I do a little video converting on the side but nothing much more than that.

For Christmas I got a 5.1 Channel Surround Sound Stereo System. I took an auxilary cable that I had and ran it through the "Audio Out" on my sound card on the back of my computer. I then plugged the remaining ends (L/R Red and White cables) into the back of my Stereo. Now, I just turn on my Surround Sound System and set the input to the "Aux" setting and play something on iTunes from my computer.

Now, since my system is somewhat old, I'm opting for some better sound quality. So, I'm concidering buying a new Sound Card. Now, here's my problem:

When I look for a card on the internet, it has SO many ports on the back (for Center Speaker, Left Front Speaker, Right Front Speaker, Subwoofer, etc). Here is an example of what I'm talking about:
T777-1004b.jpg

Remember how I said that the only way I was connecting my computer was through the one Auxilary cable? If I got a card like this would it be able to take advantage of the entire surround sound capability? I'm not sure, because it has so many ports on the card, and I've only got one auxilary cable running from my computer. Would it be able to do the entire surround sound effect, or would I only be able to get one channel audio through all of my 5 speakers and my subwoofer?

Sorry that took so much wording, and if you still don't understand what I'm trying to explain, then I'm sorry!! Thanks for the help if you can!

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
With only one input seen for auxillery on your home entertainment device you would have to use the line out or front speaker out to have stereo signal synthesized as surround sound. You wouldn't merge all three or four outputs from the new card into one two channel jack. With the headphones out from either pc speakers or the audio out on usually the front panel or top of the case you could also patch the auxilery input there. The signal would still be two channel stereo synthesized.

PC eye

banned
You wouldn't see true surround from any two channel source. Even in a 5.1 or 7.1 card's software you will find the setting for simulating surround sound playback from stereo audio files or stereo audio from dvds or other video sources. You would have to have 5.1 or 7.1 input on the device to patch in the total output from the onboard or expansion card used.

PC eye

banned
5.1 speakers, a sound system with a 5.1 auxillery input?, not likely. Your new sound system simply has to sythesize the 5.1 effect from a two channel auxillery input.

isaacual69

if your computer is close enough to your receiver, or if you had a long enough cable, you could get a sound card that has an optical out which will run pcm signal to your receiver and whatever format your audio signal was recorded in, the optical will send it via fiber optic cable, and let the receiver seperate everything, as long as the receiver is a dolby digital unit...hope this helped

PC eye

banned
The main problem there is most of the cards come with analog output as well as inputs. The auxillery input on the sound system is analog there as well by the sounds of it. Patching into a 5.1 mixer to share speakers from two different sources pc and home ebtertainment? The problem with the amplifier being in the home system while basic from the Dell wouldn't work since a second amplifier would add to the confusion there. Simple solution: 5.1 pc speakers