Could someone explain Water Cooling?

TheChef

I've been intrigued by water cooling systems like The CoolerMaster Water Gate and systems like it. What makes it so much better and how would you install it?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The most effective method is with a peltier chip (Pchip). What a Pchip does is when you pass electricity through it, one side gets uber cold and the other side gets uber hot. The uber cold side keeps the CPU cold. You on the otherhand have to deal with the uberhot side to make sure the Pchip doesnt burn itself out. Now if you attatch a waterblock to the peltier and bring the water into contact with the uber hot side, you can suck all that heat away and deal with it "somewhere else" so the Pchip can cool the CPU effectively without selfdestructing.

Now to deal with the heated water, it enters a "thing" (radiator) where it is cooled all at once via one or two fans (usually 120mm fans) and the water stays cold. A pump thingy keeps the water moving around. Antifreeze stuff keeps the water from freezing :) Now pump that water and you have watercooled setup

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
The most effective method is with a peltier chip (Pchip). What a Pchip does is when you pass electricity through it, one side gets uber cold and the other side gets uber hot. The uber cold side keeps the CPU cold. You on the otherhand have to deal with the uberhot side to make sure the Pchip doesnt burn itself out. Now if you attatch a waterblock to the peltier and bring the water into contact with the uber hot side, you can suck all that heat away and deal with it "somewhere else" so the Pchip can cool the CPU effectively without selfdestructing.

Now to deal with the heated water, it enters a "thing" (radiator) where it is cooled all at once via one or two fans (usually 120mm fans) and the water stays cold. A pump thingy keeps the water moving around. Antifreeze stuff keeps the water from freezing :) Now pump that water and you have watercooled setup

Doesnt the PCchip run off of a seperate PSU? and also pump out loads of heat(into case)? maybe im thinking of something else. And also...do they make antifreeze SPECIFICALLY for computer tubing/blocks/pumps? I would think car antifreeze would corrode your blocks and pump? or does that stuff not corrode/build up easy?

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/peltier.htm (great link for people like me... :D )
http://www.gideontech.com/content/articles/218/1 (even better!) lol

can you run a pelt on air? or is that just too much heat depending on the wattage of the pelt? water + pelt would nbe a lil' too much for a newbie like me lol

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Doesnt the PCchip run off of a seperate PSU?
Yes it does (well it should/better).

and also pump out loads of heat(into case)?
No. It pumps loads of heat into the water.

And also...do they make antifreeze SPECIFICALLY for computer tubing/blocks/pumps? I would think car antifreeze would corrode your blocks and pump?
Yes they make specific antifreeze although I suspect you can use extremley diluted vehicle antifreeze. Its not the antifreeze that matters so much as the water.

can you run a pelt on air?
Yes. ... guess what? ;P Heehee

or is that just too much heat depending on the wattage of the pelt?
In most cases, it is too much.

water + pelt would nbe a lil' too much for a newbie like me lol
Water kits can be had for $100 ish. You dont NEED the pelt per se

4W4K3

VIP Member
wow...i just read like 10 pages about peltsand TEC's...and figured out you can STACK pelts for better cooling. this might be a good idea for me in the future. around $300 for a double/pelt/PSU/all the rest...and a decent air cooler with a tornado or something huge on top..could probly take care of 1.75V lol. water would be better by far...but its a lil out of my price range.

http://www.dansdata.com/pelt.htm (that about sums it up...a lil' outdated but still a good read)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
wow...i just read like 10 pages about peltsand TEC's...and figured out you can STACK pelts for better cooling. this might be a good idea for me in the future
While you CAN stack them....thats prolly outside the scope of even the more aggressive modders :) .... as for cooling, a 150mm sunon should be good (or a custom funnelled 18" factory circulation fan heehee)