WIndows 10 Could this dead pixelated screen a software (virus) problem

ssal

TS535x535~9a5d04cc36174cc39f8ef16acdaa2df1
Insert caption here. If you do not edit this text it will be automatically removed.

My HP8470p screen would give me a screen like the picture and the computer would not response to the keyboard.

I always thought that there is an issue with the screen connection. I would that I was moving the laptop too erratically that might have caused the problem.

temp dead screen.jpg
Sometimes, when I close the screen for a while and reopen it (I have it set to sleep when the lid is closed), I was able to press the on button and everything would be fine. Sometimes, I had to shut it down and start it again.

But recently when I was in Europe, it happened again even when I had the laptop on a desk not having any movement. It seemed that when I touched the keyboard entering a few strokes, the screen would be frozen a brief moment and then the dead pixelated screen would come on. It was very persistent for around 30 minutes during which I kept restarting it.

Then I tried restarting with F8 and from Windows recovery (not exactly sure what I did, I was a little panic because it would give me big problem of file transferring). Then, miraculously, the problem went away and it was great for the rest of my trip.

I am starting to think that may be a software issue instead of hardware.

What you think? And how do I go about identifying the problem and fix it?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure where that very first line of text in your post came from. If upon restarting and you still get it, its most likely a hardware issue. Its not gonna be a software problem until windows loads.

ssal

Not sure where that very first line of text in your post came from. If upon restarting and you still get it, its most likely a hardware issue. Its not gonna be a software problem until windows loads.
Yes, that's what I think. I just drag opening it up to play with the ribbon cable.