Coupla Questions

kennykimny

Hey all I'm new here, and I'm excited to join this diverse community. I had a few questions (very basic) to ask you all.

1 - I recently purchased a laptop from dell and it features a 1.5 Pentium "M" processor. I mentioned this to my cousin and he said that it was much faster than a traditional P3 or P4 processor @ 1.5 mhz. What is this Pentium "M" and is his claim true?

2 - I need a lot of help concerning wireless networking. I have two situations I need help with.

A - In my house, I have a cable broadband connection with a Linksys cable modem. I want to upgrade to a wireless network, but only for my laptop. So basically, I want my desktop wired (its not going anywhere lol) but I want my laptop wireless. Do I need a wireless router? Or a wireless access point? Whats the difference between the two?

B - At college, I have the typical network system set up in my dorm. I have the plug in the wall where I plug in my CAT cable. Is there a way to create a wireless network in my dorm (and nearby surrounding areas such as the lounge) using this type of setup? IE is there a router/access point that accepts just an ethernet connection?

3 - I realize it may seem like I'm getting ahead of myself, but I want to create a case, meaning buy a few sheets of acrylic and cut it down to size. How would I mount the motherboard to the side of the case? Is this idea feasible?

Thanks for your time!

-Kenny

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1 - I recently purchased a laptop from dell and it features a 1.5 Pentium "M" processor. I mentioned this to my cousin and he said that it was much faster than a traditional P3 or P4 processor @ 1.5 mhz. What is this Pentium "M" and is his claim true?
The Pentium-M.... aka Centrino is quite different from the traditional P4 notebook processor (sometimes denoted, confusingly, as P4-M) ... I did a quick comparison of the two here: http://www.computerforum.com/showthread.php?t=1247

A - In my house, I have a cable broadband connection with a Linksys cable modem. I want to upgrade to a wireless network, but only for my laptop. So basically, I want my desktop wired (its not going anywhere lol) but I want my laptop wireless. Do I need a wireless router? Or a wireless access point? Whats the difference between the two?
At the very least you'll have to get a wireless access point. A wireless accesspoint is something you plug into one socket of a router you've already got and it allows for wireless devices to connect to it. A wireless router includes a wireless accesspoint and throws in a router into the same packagae (i.e., a wireless access point still needs a router, a wireless router doesnt)

B - At college, I have the typical network system set up in my dorm. I have the plug in the wall where I plug in my CAT cable. Is there a way to create a wireless network in my dorm (and nearby surrounding areas such as the lounge) using this type of setup? IE is there a router/access point that accepts just an ethernet connection?
Yes yes and yes. A wireless router/AP will do that for you.

3 - I realize it may seem like I'm getting ahead of myself, but I want to create a case, meaning buy a few sheets of acrylic and cut it down to size. How would I mount the motherboard to the side of the case? Is this idea feasible?
You'd mount it via screws ... make sure you have some sort of raised screw-hole so that the mobo isnt touching the case itself :)