Couple noob questions

err76

New Member
So my Alienware craped out on me, I decided to get a new computer so i decided to have an anatomy lesson and I have 2 questions so far.

The guts going together is pretty self explanatory but how do you know what wire's go where and what needs wires to begin with?

When I took the processor fan out there was some gray play dough type substance between the fan and the processor, whats it for and is it necessary?

Thanks for the answers.
 
The "Playdough" substance is Thermal paste, used to help keep the processor cooler. ;)

As for the wires, most of it is pretty self explanitory as it only has one way to plug in and work. And there are some great threads on here that show how to build the computer and what goes where.

Are you planning on buying another pre-built, or are you going to try building it yourself?
 
Not too sure yet. Buddy offered me another rig but the peeps on this sight said he was asking too much so I politely declined.

Right now I am using a 6 year old laptop to get me through but I can not game on it. I need to sit down with my wife and figure out a budget, I am hoping for approx 1500$ but we still need to talk about it. Marriage is great but it has its limitations, hehe.

Ty for the answers, I very much appreciate it.
 
No prob :)

For 1500, you can build a great computer, but you cant buy a pre-built with near as good of components on it.

Almost everybody on this site will tell you it will be far better to build your own :P
 
No prob :)

For 1500, you can build a great computer, but you cant buy a pre-built with near as good of components on it.

Almost everybody on this site will tell you it will be far better to build your own :P

Tis why I had my little anatomy lesson tonight:)

And I have to say it is a pain to get that dam processor fan back in.
 
This is a great place to get advise on building a new computer. With $1500 you will have an awesome system. People on here will walk you through it step by step. If you would like, just throw up your budget and we can help you pick out the best parts.

As for all the wires....your motherboard manual will tell you what all the connections are on the motherboard and then just plug in the respective wires in the right places....it is actually very easy, it seems like a nightmare task when you look at it for the first time!

As for the heatsink and fan....I have put an entire computer together in 30 minutes and then spent an hour on that one thing....something soo easy can be soo difficult!

Xion II case
ASUS P5N-E 650i mobo
Q9300 OC'd 2.875 GHz
Cooler Master Hyper TX2 CPU cooler
Corsair XMS2 Pro 4x1 GB
Evga 9800 GTX
Antec Neo Power 650w
 
Last edited:
Back
Top