Couple Questions

XMarineX

I need to know if my motherboard can support AGP slot. Is there n e way i can check that without opening my comp. Also if it would help i have a Dell Dimension 2400. If i don't have an AGP slot whats the best affordable one i can get off newegg.

4W4K3

VIP Member
XMarineX said:
I need to know if my motherboard can support AGP slot. Is there n e way i can check that without opening my comp. Also if it would help i have a Dell Dimension 2400. If i don't have an AGP slot whats the best affordable one i can get off newegg.

well..you cant BUY an AGP slot. you have to buy an entirely new motherboard. and the easiest way to check is to...remove the side panel and loook. it takes only a few seconds.

XMarineX

lol sry i guess i didnt make myself clear enuf i meant whats the most affordable motherboard with an agp slot i can buy

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
As far as I know, the Dell Dimension 2400 has integrated video card and no AGP slot.

4W4K3

VIP Member
XMarineX said:
lol sry i guess i didnt make myself clear enuf i meant whats the most affordable motherboard with an agp slot i can buy

do you want cheapest mobo you can buy, or do you want best performing mobo for the cheapest price? i would suggest ASUS, ABIT, or DFI NF2 model boards. there pretty affordable.

joelkyr

I agree on that:),I own a DELL PC, if you want to replace your onboard video card, use your PCI slot,but you have to disable your onboard VC before installing a new one, I dont know if it makes any difference if its a AGP or PCI that you use:)

4W4K3

VIP Member
joelkyr said:
I agree on that:),I own a DELL PC, if you want to replace your onboard video card, use your PCI slot,but you have to disable your onboard VC before installing a new one, I dont know if it makes any difference if its a AGP or PCI that you use:)

big difference...PCI is older and slower. AGP 8X is newer and faster. AGP is almost ALWAYS better unless its a really slow AGP card against the best PCI card. i think an FX5200 is the best card you can get PCI wise...if they even make PCI versions of that card. i thought they did.

XMarineX

Yea i mean cheapest/best... but will it be compatbile with Dell? And does n e one kno if dell dimension 2400 has AGP slot. Wut should i upgrade to be able to run next generation games.

P4 2.20GHz
2.19GHz
512MB Ram

will def buy new video card(9800 Pro)

need a new mobo since mine probably wont support agp slot

XMarineX

Please help upgrade comp

Here's the thing i own a Dell Dimension 2400. Everything on it is stock. I want to upgrade this comp to be a decent gaming comp. I am a complete noob to all this stuff and i need ur help badly. I need a new motherboard with an agp slot to put a 9800 pro in it. Also need 1gig ram corsair if possbile. need a new PSU to run the 9800 pro and if 2.2 ghz isnt enuf i need more. please pick parts from newegg. best/afforable please. i would greatly appreciate n e help.
i don't now wut parts are compatible with my comp so i dont want to waste 200 dollars on some part that doesnt even fit my computer. THANK YU so very much if u can help me

4W4K3

VIP Member
isnt this like your 3-4th thread? maybe you should stick to just one, its easier to help you if your in one place.

mikelx21

I myself own a Dell 4600, which is the model that comes with an AGP slot unlike the 2400 models. I have looked inside of the 2400 (my roommate owns one) and there isn't very much room for expansion, unlike the 4600 which has an AGP slot, SATA plug-ins, supports up to 4gb of PC3200 RAM and so on....So if you ever want an AGP slot, you are going to have to change mobo's, which also means that basically you will be building a whole new computer (aside from the HDD and CD-ROM etc...things that are interchangable). Dell, like many other "we'll build it for you" companies have their comps wired so that you can only have their motherboard in their particular cases. The power/reset switches, along with USB ports are bound by their own connectors for that particular motherboard. So...if you want to get a new motherboard, plan on buying a new case with it too. Trying to upgrade your Dell is a waste of time, especially if you want good system for gaming (trust me I have tried)...but a couple of replacements shouldnt put you in the hole that much. Just make sure to buy a mobo that is compatable with your RAM, cpu etc. It will also be worth it for you to learn how to do it...hope this was helpful...