Couple Upgrading Questions

Timbo

Hi guys,
My current spec is
1.8 GHz P4, w/ 400 FSB ~ 2.3 GHz
512 MBs of DDR-233 ( PC-2100 )
MSI-6398E Motherboard
nVidia Ti 4200 w/ 128 mbs of RAM.

In the recent weeks I have picked up World of Warcraft, and it can be fairly intense on the computer when you are in a major city, etc. I was wonder if it'd be worth it to be a ATI 9800 Pro in it, I can pick one up for 150 bux. I would only be able to run at AGP 4x. I would also put another stick of 512 RAM in. I really don't feel like putting too much money into this. Those upgrades would run me about 200 dollars, do you think that would be suffice to run it well?

mgoldb2

VIP Member
world of warcraft sys requirements said:
800 MHz or higher CPU.
256 MB or more of RAM.
32 MB 3D graphics card with hardware Transform and Lighting, such as GeForce 2 or better.
4 GB or more of available hard drive space.
DirectX® 9.0c or above.
A 56k or higher modem with an Internet connection.

You meet all the system requirements to play. The better video card should help make it play on higher settings. I dont think upgrading to 1gb of ram in your system going to make a big difference from 512. It might help a little.

Timbo

But we all know that there are system requirements to run it, then system requirements to run it well. And would my processor be bottlenecking a R9800 Pro? And, of course, why do you think that another 512 RAM wouldn't help much? There can be a LOT of people on screen at one time.

SlothX311

i dont think youl bottleneck considering that the other computer of mine is a 1.6 Ghz P4 and i havent overclocked it, i have 512 in that puppy now, of RD and it doesnt bottleneck at all, plus a video card upgrade can only increase the preformance of your system.......

*side thought* gosh were already talking about bottlenecking with a 2.3 Ghz processor! whats the world coming too, there are so many people who are happy with thier sub 3 Ghz range CPU's and many who are even happy with sub 2 Ghz......personally i didnt have the heart to get rid of my old 423 1.6 Ghz P4....still runs great

Timbo

I didn't know if that fact that it was a previous model Pentium 4, 400 FSB, would cause a large performance leap..? It seems not, so sounds good. I might also pick up another heatsink and tryin' get this thing to 2400 mhz. I also don't comletely understand why another 512 RAM wouldn't help much.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
in the recent weeks i have picked up world of warcraft, and it can be fairly intense on the computer when you are in a major city, etc.
you wont be benifiting so much from the video card as the bottleneck is the server.
those upgrades would run me about 200 dollars, do you think that would be suffice to run it well?
the ti4200 is plenty to play that game
but we all know that there are system requirements to run it, then system requirements to run it well.
an etch-a-sketch can play wow. The bottleneck is the server not you