CPU and GPU

g4m3rof1337

Active Member
I've been looking into getting a new CPU, since mine seems to be holding me back. I don't want to buy another Dual Core, so I was thinking of a Quad Core, what are some good ones?

Also, how long will Dual 8800GT's be useful?





Thanks.
 
Last edited:
What's out there at the moment that's not extravagant, I don't know what a good budget would be, so let's say under $200?
 
If dual 8800GT's will be useful for awhile, I plan on buying a bigger monitor with a higher resolution, if I'd notice a difference.

I currently have 20.1'' 1680x1050.
 
you should get decent frames for another 6 months garenteed(can't spell) you should be able to play new games for another year or better, but technology is moving pretty fast, but, by then there will be a new equivalent to the 8800gt
 
I've been looking into getting a new CPU, since mine seems to be holding me back. I don't want to buy another Dual Core, so I was thinking of a Quad Core, what are some good ones?

Right now, a good one that everybody likes is the Q6600 which is excellent at overclocking 3GHz at least most people say and has 8MB of L2 (not 6MB like lower end 45nm Quads) so that's a plus.

Also, how long will Dual 8800GT's be useful?

That's a question you should've asked before buying the second 8800GT :P

But don't worry, that'd get you to at least another year I'd say
 
I chose to SLI because it was at the time NVIDIA and ATI were releasing cards, and I didn't want to get in the middle of it, I actually made a thread about this, and most of the people liked the SLI option.
 
But don't worry, that'd get you to at least another year I'd say

lol i only upgraded my 6800 GT less then 2 mouths ago and i could run call of duty 4 on max at 1440x900 with 2x AA, so 2 8800's should last a bit longer then a year.
 
lol i only upgraded my 6800 GT less then 2 mouths ago and i could run call of duty 4 on max at 1440x900 with 2x AA, so 2 8800's should last a bit longer then a year.

Awesome, I'll look into a new CPU and Monitor, later.


I also plan on overclocking my cards a lot, and probably volt modding them as well.
 
be carefull ;)

My friend volt modded his cards the hard way, but we found these chips that plug on the card, do the same thing as the hard volt mod method, and doesn't void the warranty, but mines probably already voided since I upgraded the coolers.
 
lol i only upgraded my 6800 GT less then 2 mouths ago and i could run call of duty 4 on max at 1440x900 with 2x AA, so 2 8800's should last a bit longer then a year.

Yeah but again, COD4 is not a very demanding game. Heck I could play it on Medium with my old 7600GT ;)

But I'm not saying that his 8800GT's will be obsolete soon, a year is probably understatement.
 
Yeah but again, COD4 is not a very demanding game. Heck I could play it on Medium with my old 7600GT ;)

But I'm not saying that his 8800GT's will be obsolete soon, a year is probably understatement.

But two of them, overclocked?


And they're practically identical to the 9800GT's.
 
I'll look into that CPU, also I think my RAM is a bit slow, I can post the timings later, which can be found in CPU-Z, right? So, how much is 4GB of good gaming ram?




Thanks.
 
Back
Top