CPU and RAM

john3581

I already know that CPU is Central Processing Unit, which is the "brain" of the computer. Is RAM related to CPU? Also, I want to know the full definition of RAM.

Thanks,

J.

tuxify

RAM stands for Random Access Memory. It's where temporary data is stored and can be accessed randomly, no matter where it is stored. The RAM and CPU are different parts of the computer, and in my opinion are the two most important parts of the computer. It's a good idea if you have a good CPU, to have lots of good RAM with it.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
RAM - random access memory

It's one of the three basic places your computer stores information (CPU cache being the first, RAM the second and hard drive the third), and the 2nd fastest one. It is the "short term memory" of your computer.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
I already know that CPU is Central Processing Unit, which is the "brain" of the computer. Is RAM related to CPU? Also, I want to know the full definition of RAM.

Thanks,

J.

Like they said.. Random Access Memory... Store's your "standby" and "hibernate" things in there... And everything you see right now is offa the memory.

littleblackxj

Like they said.. Random Access Memory... Store's your "standby" and "hibernate" things in there... And everything you see right now is offa the memory.

small nit pick. When you hibernate it takes everything off the ram and copies it to the hard drive.

epidemik

oo the good old kitchen analagy (for ram and hd space)

HD is like your cabinets, stores a lot of stuff but you cant use it very well there.
Ram is like counter space. You can access and use it quickly. Its where the stuff youre working on is temporarily stored.

tuxify

HD is like your cabinets, stores a lot of stuff but you cant use it very well there.
Ram is like counter space. You can access and use it quickly. Its where the stuff youre working on is temporarily stored.

lol good ol' HTML class.
"The CPU is like your mom"

epidemik

That's a pretty original way of putting it, but its pretty accurate.

Yeah, i thought i came up with it myself but then i heard someone else use it a month or so ago....

You could strectch it, CPU is like the cook...preforms all the main processes :D

Blazing_Javelin

So the more ram you have the more counter space you have....therefore your mom (CPU) can do things faster and more organized right?? pleease correct me if im wrong

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
So the more ram you have the more counter space you have....therefore your mom (CPU) can do things faster and more organized right?? pleease correct me if im wrong

To a certain extend you're right. However, a 32-bit OS can only handle up to 4 gigs of ram, and utilize 3 gigs of that. A 64-bit OS can handle MUCH more. So I guess your mom also has to be smart to use to much counter space :D.

Geoff

VIP Member
Thats true if you have apps that can utilize more RAM then you currently have. For instance, if you only have 512MB of RAM, you will notice a huge difference when playing newer games for instance, when you upgrade to 2GB. However if you upgrade from 4GB to 8GB, you wont see a difference.