CPU choice help

Boltso

Hi, brought a lower budget gaming desktop a while back and im looking to upgrade the GPU and CPU... The GPU is a nvidia gtx 1060 and I'll upgrade to 1080... However I'm a bit confused about the CPU. The system is using H110M-S2H motherboard but has a pentium g4560 I heard that means the bios was updated? Anyhow based on this would a core i7 7700k or an i5 7600k work out of the box? Or would I need to update the bios? And if not what CPUs would u recommend? Thanks

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
First thing. That is not a laptop, its a desktop system. If it has the G4560 installed and it is fully recognized then most likely it has the updated bios on it already. You can run cpuz and click on the mainboard tab and it will you what bios revision its running. However, it wouldn't pay you to get the K version cpu since the motherboard won't allow you to overclock it. It would still work, but no overclocking. You could just get the regular non K versions.

Boltso

First thing. That is not a laptop, its a desktop system. If it has the G4560 installed and it is fully recognized then most likely it has the updated bios on it already. You can run cpuz and click on the mainboard tab and it will you what bios revision its running. However, it wouldn't pay you to get the K version cpu since the motherboard won't allow you to overclock it. It would still work, but no overclocking. You could just get the regular non K versions.

Thanks for pointing out laptop mistake not sure why I wrote that haha fixed now. I see so I'll just get the non k version thanks for pointing that out and for the info much appreciated.

I checked CPU-Z:
Chipset: intel - kaby lake - rev 05
South bridge - intel - skylake PCH - rev 31
LPCIO - IT8628

BIOS
American Megatrends Inc
Version: f21
Date: 05/23/2017

Is that bios compatible with the i7 7700? Thanks again