CPU choices

mr.doom

I am starting to build a computer for 3D rendering and I need your opinion - is it better to go with the highest end of 1150 socket or is it better to buy the bottom end of 2011-3? Thanks.

mr.doom

That is the question for me - what will be quicker, 4 cores at 4GHz or 6 cores at 3.2GHz. Price difference is not that huge so I would rather pay that bit more if there is a tangible performance difference.

spirit

Staff member
You want the most cores and threads you can lay your hands on for that kind of thing, so if you can afford a hex-core then get one and overclock it.

Telhma

I am starting to build a computer for 3D rendering and I need your opinion - is it better to go with the highest end of 1150 socket or is it better to buy the bottom end of 2011-3? Thanks.

Hello, mr.doom

I am working with stills, and get lured in to buy a great graphics card while i not needed it. but because you do 3d rendering, you can possibly get more out a great graphics card then out of a great CPU.

So, i would look first att how your pc performs right now, does the cpu work at 100% when you render?? and what is the GPU dooing. there is newer software that is using the GPU to render the files. so, it all depends off course on your software, and possibly a new CPU never harms, but, be aware it may be possible it is better to replace or add a graphics card for your rendering (maybe not, my software only use CPU)

greets

beers

Staff member
As stated, it really depends on what you do.

For non-OpenCL/CUDA rendering, more threads/cores will net you more performance, so you'd be better off with a hex or octo variant on the 2011-3 platform.

I'd probably just get a 2011-3 board for additional RAM capacity (density of DDR4 as well as more slots) and future expansion. Supposedly Broadwell-E will be supported on 2011-3 so you'd also have a bit of an upgrade path, not to mention an octo core extreme edition if needed, whereas on 1150 you're simply limited to quads.