CPU Comparison

moundtown

I have a computer with an Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 3.20GHz processor. I'm thinking of buying a refurbished computer that has an Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz processor. Is there a big difference between these two. Which one is faster?

Thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The dual core is definitely faster. What do you use the computer for? What operating system will have it have and how much memory?

moundtown

The dual core is definitely faster. What do you use the computer for? What operating system will have it have and how much memory?

Thank you for replying. It will have Windows 7 Pro 64 bit installed with 4GB memory. I will use it mostly for office type work, surfing the web, and occasionally converting videos and editing images.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Everything should be ok but will be slow when converting videos. You might want to think about getting one with a quad core processor in it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
A video card won't help with converting videos. Converting requires cpu and ram.

moundtown

A video card won't help with converting videos. Converting requires cpu and ram.

Video converting is something I do only occasionally. The Pentium 4 converts the videos in about two hours and I just let it do that when I'm away from the computer. If the dual core is faster it should cut that time down... right?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
It will cut the time down, yes. But the Core2 series is outdated these days, so it will still take a while.

moundtown

It will cut the time down, yes. But the Core2 series is outdated these days, so it will still take a while.

I know there are certainly must faster processors around but I can get a really good deal on the refurbished core 2 duo and was just wonder how much faster it was than the Pentium 4 so I can decide if it's even worth my time messing with.

moundtown

It will be faster, no doubt. But I can't give you a specific time.

I just did a comparison at cpubenchmark.net and the Average CPU Mark for the Pentium 4 was 407 and for the core duo it was 2175. What does Average CPU Mark mean and what do these numbers indicate?

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Higher numbers means higher performance. However, each processor has a specific model (E5500, E4300, etc.) so you'd need to know the specific CPU you're gonna get. If it's the one you ranked above, it's more than 4 times more powerful than your P4.

moundtown

Higher numbers means higher performance. However, each processor has a specific model (E5500, E4300, etc.) so you'd need to know the specific CPU you're gonna get. If it's the one you ranked above, it's more than 4 times more powerful than your P4.

It's the Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz E8400 and the CPU Benchmark site rates it 2175

Ken 7878

moundtown,

I too was thinking about a refurbished computer but then got to thinking about what if the system, specifically the hard drive, crashed. I don't think they supply you with the Operating System and motherboard drivers on separate disks, its all on the installed hard drive.

So now I am thinking about going the build-it-yourself route.

Ken

87dtna

A 3ghz core 2 duo must be an E8400. Wolfdale core speed is nearly 50% faster than prescott alone, and also you're adding a second core. So basically, that CPU will be about 3 times faster than your pentium 4, should be a decent upgrade. If it took 2 hours, it'll take about 45 minutes now.

Edit- I see now you already stated it is indeed an E8400, I didn't look at the 2nd page replies before posting.

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Staff member
I too was thinking about a refurbished computer but then got to thinking about what if the system, specifically the hard drive, crashed. I don't think they supply you with the Operating System and motherboard drivers on separate disks, its all on the installed hard drive.

You don't need disks. Drivers are found online on the manufacturers support page and Windows 7 ISO's are available for download online.