CPU fan stop moving after installing graphic card.

khom562

I have a 6850 i installed it and for some reason the computer is still working. (I'm on it right now) But the fan stop moving? The graphic card is working sort of

Anyone have any idea what wrong?

Darren

Staff member
I have a 6850 i installed it and for some reason the computer is still working. (I'm on it right now) But the fan stop moving? The graphic card is working sort of

Anyone have any idea what wrong?

I'd advise to use a different computer as you may overheat your computer and damage it. Which fan isn't working? The CPU or the Graphics Card?

DO NOT GAME with it like this. You'll fry whichever for sure.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Can you list your system specs? Include motherboard, power supply, processor. Did you have a video card in there before or were you using onboard video? Providing you haven't knocked something loose like the cpu fan connection, then its possible you have a motherboard/power supply issue.

khom562

I'd advise to use a different computer as you may overheat your computer and damage it. Which fan isn't working? The CPU or the Graphics Card?

DO NOT GAME with it like this. You'll fry whichever for sure.

I worried about that also. The CPU Fan didn't work at the time but when i tried a different graphic card. My old HIS 4670.CPU heatsink fan is moving normally again. So i'm hoping... If i got a better graphic card. I'm wondering will it still work on my motherboard?

Can you list your system specs? Include motherboard, power supply, processor. Did you have a video card in there before or were you using onboard video? Providing you haven't knocked something loose like the cpu fan connection, then its possible you have a motherboard/power supply issue.

I just build my computer today that why i'm on a tight budget.. I had a bit of a minor problem but other than that everything running smoothly.

Case- Raidmax
Motherboard - ASRock H61M/U3S3 Intel H61 Micro ATX DDR3 1333
RAM - 2 4GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-10666 RipjawsX Series for Sandy Bridge (7-7-7-21) Dual Channel kit
CPU - Intel Core i3-2120
Video card- GIGABYTE RADEON 6850
Power supply - Corsair 750TX

I had onboard video at the time. When i attempted to install the 6850 It didn't work in my Asus, AMD Phenom II X4 940 Also :/

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It seems there is something wrong with video card that would stop the cpu fan from spinning, which is a really weird issue. I would rma the video card. You did have the pci express power connector plugged into the video card right?

khom562

It seems there is something wrong with video card that would stop the cpu fan from spinning, which is a really weird issue. I would rma the video card. You did have the pci express power connector plugged into the video card right?

Yes i had the pci express power connector do you think that the problem? I didn't use the connector the 2nd time but it still worked. Does the graphic card really need 2 pci-e connectors? Or is it fine with just 1 directly from the PSU

spirit

Staff member
Yes i had the pci express power connector do you think that the problem? I didn't use the connector the 2nd time but it still worked. Does the graphic card really need 2 pci-e connectors? Or is it fine with just 1 directly from the PSU
You need two connectors. Are you using any molex-PCI Express power adapters or are you using power straight from the PSU?

khom562

You need two connectors. Are you using any molex-PCI Express power adapters or are you using power straight from the PSU?

Yes i'm using the molex -pci express power adapter but no luck still... do you think maybe its the wire fault also?

spirit

Staff member
Can you try using a different adapter? I'm not a fan of those adapters myself. Seems odd though that a TX750 power supply wouldn't have two PCI Express connectors...