cpu for computer graphics

cyklon

Hi , I am student of animation and i want to buy a system for computer graphics. I am using photoshop and maya . My computer yet has a terrible cpu - celeron d 3.33 Ghz - I render a simple scene with default settings in mental ray and size 640 x 480 for 10:13 minutes . I wonder what a system i need - the first variant is Gigabyte MA770-UD3( http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2982 ) mb and phenom 2 x4 940 and i can use my current components like ram ddr2 800 mhz , harddrive 160 gb , ati 4850 vaporx 512 mb and i hope my psu - 400w (will be enough?) : this will cost me 240 euro. The other variant is: core i 7 , Asus P6T Deluxe V2 , psu 750 w , and ram ddr3 6gb crossair 1333mhz - this will cost me arround 750 euro . I want to know if the second variant deserves the money difference which is hudge. Once again i will use the computer only for maya and photoshop . I don't have an intention to upgrade for at least 1 year .Please for some advices. Thanks in advance

mikesrex

you should be fine with the AMD setup for what you want. Yes, the i7 will be better and faster, but the big difference in price may not be worth it to you.

cyklon

you should be fine with the AMD setup for what you want. Yes, the i7 will be better and faster, but the big difference in price may not be worth it to you.

Thank you . Do you know if the motherboard i've chosen is good for overclocking - can i overclock the x4 940 to 3.8 Ghz with this motherboard ?! And also need i another power supply or 400w is ok. I 've checked that my 4850 maximum power consumption is 251w , the cpu-125 w , i am not sure but i think my harddisk don't use more than 8-9 w (251 + 125 + 10 = 386) . Do the mainboard or something else need additional power ?!

bomberboysk

What kinda of psu, 400w is not the brand/specs, and even if its a quality unit such as FSP, Antec, OCZ, Seasonic, Corsair, Pcpower&Cooling, BFG or thermaltake, it still is a little underpowered....

cyklon

I ' ll buy a new psu , what about the mobo - please if someone has an experience with it to tell if it's good enough for the phenom 940 . I want to overclock it to 3.8 Ghz . Thank you

StrangleHold

Staff member
I ' ll buy a new psu , what about the mobo - please if someone has an experience with it to tell if it's good enough for the phenom 940 . I want to overclock it to 3.8 Ghz . Thank you

No, I've had and installed both the GA MA770 DS3 and UD3. If your going to overclock a 940 you need a board with a better power setup. Plus they are limited on the CPU voltage. They are good boards, but not for overclocking a 940.

cyklon

No, I've had and installed both the GA MA770 DS3 and UD3. If your going to overclock a 940 you need a board with a better power setup. Plus they are limited on the CPU voltage. They are good boards, but not for overclocking a 940.
Thank you . Please for some suggestions for a good mobo for overclocking of 940 then.