Cpu Installation???

joelkyr

Hi, Im building a new rig and this is my first time, can anybody tell me where can I get a manual or anything about CPU installation, and how to apply the thermal compound(arctic silver 5). :) :)

joelkyr

How about the thermal compound, how do I apply it, should it be done before I install the CPU or after? :)

4W4K3

VIP Member
joelkyr said:
How about the thermal compound, how do I apply it, should it be done before I install the CPU or after? :)

apply it after you drop the CPU in place, that way you dont have to hold it and risk coating the entire chip in it. use very little paste on the chip and apply as thin a coat as possible, not to thin though or it wont apply heat evenly. you want to put it on the base of your heatsink aswell. a very thi coat on both should be enough. some peope only do it on one (either CPU or heatsink) but i find its not enough.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
you want to put it on the base of your heatsink aswell
No need for that; if you coat the chip thats plenty fine and there's no need for double-coating

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
No need for that; if you coat the chip thats plenty fine and there's no need for double-coating

lol thats what i was talking about. some people only do one or the other. i find i get better temps if i coat both...but that might be because i barely put any on each and they equal one coat? i dunno. just see which gives you better temps. mine ranged only about 2C but every C counts. also might be my heatsink needs a lap job and i gotta use more. a nice flat hsf barely needs any.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
but that might be because I barely put any on each and they equal one coat?
Yep! So put more on one of them and save yourself the extra (negligible) work :p