CPU is stuck to my Fan

Nar57981

Alright, so I just got a new motherboard, and I went and tried to pull my old fan off, and the CPU came with it. OUT OF THE CLOSED ZIF! I'm kind of freeked out because my CPU might not work after this happens right? Any tips on how to get it off?

Cleric7x9

it will work fine, take a flathead screwdriver and carefully remove it from the heatsink. dont let it go flying.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Alright, so I just got a new motherboard, and I went and tried to pull my old fan off, and the CPU came with it. OUT OF THE CLOSED ZIF! I'm kind of freeked out because my CPU might not work after this happens right? Any tips on how to get it off?

Yup, it might not work.

Did you use Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive?

Just take a flathead and try to pry it apart. If the pins aren't broken and everything looks well, it still might run.

teamhex

Happened to me at work today, nothing was bent tho, sucks man.

zer0_c00l

i did the same thing once with my 5600+ took me 3 hours to get them all back in place work fine after to.....:)i used metal fingernail file and a good light and magnf glass....

StrangleHold

Staff member
Like zerO said, if there not broke off you can just straighten them out. Just be carefull and dont break one off.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
You may be able to straighten them out.

For the future, always twist the heatsink until you feel it break loose

Cleric7x9

the could do MORE damage! before the socket 775s when the pins were on the CPU (like in the OP's case), twisting it could bend all the pins!

Nar57981

Yeah my teacher was telling me to do this, but it's impossible to do with socket AM2, because theres little things on the sides preventing you from doing so.

Tayl

VIP Member
You must have put some hell of a force against that sucker when pulling it out to send it that flying when the clamp was down. I would say try putting it back into the old motherboard and straighten out the pins that way but it's not the best idea (more the lazy mans idea :p). What CPU is it by the way?

Rove.