CPU lagging issue on Acer Notebook. Help!

Jimboywak

Hi guys..

I'm running an Acer Aspire One notebook whilst away travelling and am suddenly experiencing a slowdown of all processes, start-up now takes 5 times longer than before and all audio sounds like it is being played underwater, with skips and scratches like a vinyl record.

I have defragged, run Spybot S&D, Pandascan and CCleaner in order to try to clear up some of the junk, have 80% of my 160GB hd free and am wondering what is wrong as the problem has only very recently started to happen.

I have not installed any new software recently and do not play games or other such things which can slow the processor down so was wondering if there is anyone out there who can help me. I'm not exactly a genius when it comes to computers and don't want to try to fix it and inadvertently make it worse. I have also done an online CPU check and it is running at the full 1.6ghz which it should be.

In short I am totally stumped and am in need of some help from some kindhearted genius out there.

Many thanks

Bodaggit23

Turn off "Search Indexing".

1. Open “Control Panel”, select “Administrator Tools”, and open Services applet. Alternatively, type services.msc in the Rn text box from Start menu, and then hit Enter.
2. Scroll down and locate Indexing Service service, and then double click on it.
3. Click on Stop button to immediately stop the indexing service if the service status shows “Running.
4. Under the “Startup Type”, select Disabled to permanently disable the indexing service so that it won’t run again.
5. Click OK.

Also, heat may be a factor. Try not to use the netbook on your lap or other soft surfaces.
Heat needs to be able to escape, so use on hard surfaces.

Jimboywak

Thanx, I've done that but still the problem persists..

It has got marginally better tho so thanks for your help..

Any more clues??

Jimboywak

Thank you all...

I have done all of this and still no joy..

I need to find a list of programs as half of them I have no idea what they do

Any ideas??

chanchan05

how old is the notebook? And i assume you've been using it outdoors? Have a technician check the heatsink and its inside for dust. Accumulated dust could lead to heat problems and lags

sync

To add to Bodaggit23's tip there are few more services you should turn off. Doing this should speed up your notebook. Here are the ones i disable on mine:

Automatic updates
Error reporting service
Fast user switching
Help and support
Indexing service
Print spooler (if you don't have a printer)
Security center
System restore service (useless honestly)

Also you said you ran ccleaner? did you run the registry cleaner tool within it also? Cleaning the registry helps unclog a few things. Another useful tool within ccleaner is under tools and then the startup button. In there you can remove unwanted programs that will start when windows starts. Though be carfeul about which ones you disable as some of them are needed by windows.