CPU monitoring program

2048Megabytes

I might just go to fast food place and get some but when I apply the thermal paste what do I use to spread it out good?

With thermal paste a little goes a long way. Place the amount of paste equal to a grain of rice on the center of the processor and when you place the heatsink on it will spread it out adequately.

bigl2007

ok thanks i just wanted to make sure i dont have to use too much of it at once i wasnt sure about that one of my builds it came with the heatsink the thermal paste and i think it had enough for the cpu not sure if i over did it that time but i got it toward the middle mostly

Twist86

Yep I usually spread it out with a sandwich baggie on my finger....then take a razor blade to make it "even" I found it easier.

Plus I use the razor to find imperfections on the chip so I can add more paste to chips like my Q6600 which have a "valley" on the left corner. Sadly all chips have imperfections just some worse then others and I got the short end of the stick this time :p

bigl2007

i got a question does the day after the 4th of july count as a holiday when the 4th falls on a sunday cuz my stuff saying it estimated delivery day is tomorrow and i was wondering if it could possibly arrive today or not

2048Megabytes

Post Office has today off. Because the 4th of July was on a Sunday they are observing it on the 5th of July.

Very likely Federal Express and United Parcel Service have the 5th of July off as a holiday too.

bigl2007

ok thanks cuz imma let ya know how it goes will i notice a difference in cpu temp real soon after i take out the intel heatsink fan and put the new artic fan in there to replace the intel heatsink fan and put the thermal paste on and stuff the artic paste or does it take awhile to take affect?

Twist86

You will notice a 3-5c drop after 150-200 hours of burn in. Right off the bat it will do a better job then the cheap paste that came with the stock cooler.

Twist86

I usually 20 hours of prime95 but most will say it will set within the 150-200 hour "causal burn in". I personally see a 1c difference but really can't prove it as each time you apply you might be changing the temps by the way you did it :)

For you though id say just apply it put your cooler on...run prime95 for 1-2 hours to make sure your temps are safe then go on with your business.

Twist86

Personally if my chip passes 60c I tend to not like it. Sure it can run @ 80c but its not doing the chip any good. With after market your idle temps in a 80F room should be around 35c idle and load should be around 50c or so. I would imagine lower as your running stock clocks. 45nm is suppose to run cooler then my 65nm quad so you should get better temps. This is just a SWAG mind you.

My cooler runs stock 1.3v @ 22c idle and 32c load and @ 1.4v 3.2ghz its 35c and 55c load (basing off hottest core of my quad mind you)

bigl2007

motherboard problems

i ran into some motherboard problems in the middle of swaping heatsinks so im buying a new motherboard which should be here tomorrow afternoon after i install that im gonna start putting the artic freezer pro heatsink in there and hope i have the best of luck with the temps its got some mx-2 thermal paste of some sort pre applied should that be good enough or will i be better of with the artic silver 5 thermal compound?

bigl2007

ok

well past few days have been hot here and highest it got to was 74 C now its cooler cuz i got window open and have fan blowing cooler air from outside but on the hot days when it got to 74C the fan cooled it down a lil bit under load of playing guildwars but if i play cod4 which i cant play to well yet til i get some better ram i may be able to tell if it can take the pressure or not then cuz that was the first game it started freezing on with the last intel stock cooler i had not i have the artic freezer pro rev.2 the one i mentioned in this forum b4 i do like the cpu cooler but not sure how well it will hold up if i overclock i dont think i want to since im getting lil hot temps i used the pre applied mx something paste that came already on the heatsink fan prolly should have used the artic silver 5 but i not the greatest at applying stuff like that yet but i will try if i have to :) on this cool morning its idling at 58 C 59 C under load might jump a bit havent really tried full load this morning and i think it will be heavily under load in cod4 but when i had to buy different memory to get this motherboard to work with this system cuz my other motherboard had a thing called epp which wasnt supported by my new asus motherboard by the way do i have to flash the bios to overclock i dont know where to look in my bios and i feel i need better temps b4 overclocking oh my heatsink has heat pipes what do those normally do and im gonna put some new case fans in here made by scythe but so far no freezes ingame or out game yet but i am on 32 bit xp for the time being sp3 cuz i dont want to run 7 right now cuz im running 1 gig of ddr2 667 ram but i will eventually upgrade to 800mhz ddr2 and stuff hopefully dual channel

Last edited:

bigl2007

hey guys

hey guys i updated my bios today now im getting alot better temperature readings theni was getting before i noticed with my preinstalled bios i was getting higher temperatures but today i decided to update my p5n-D 750i motherboards bios to the lattest version and now im getting 41 C on idle temperatures i dont know what its gonna say under load yet i will run more test i just want to thank you guys for the help i really appreciate it :) huge difference with this new heatsink and the bios update

Last edited: