CPU/motherboard Recomendations

millz

Hey guys

Was hoping I could get a little advice on a budget CPU/Motherboard combo for an HTPC type of computer.

I currently have

Mid tower case
Radeon 6870 GPU
HDD
PSU 650 watt

I need some advice on which CPU to put in here. This computer probably won't be doing any gaming. Mostly just browsing, Netflix and Youtube. I would imagine that fast single threaded performance is what I need.

I need the best bang for the buck CPU/motherboard combo. I want it to be in the 100 - 150 dollar range for the combo.

I'll also probably pick up an SSD at some point in a few weeks which doesn't need to be worked into the 100 - 150 budget.

beers

Staff member
If it 'probably did do gaming', what kind of games are we talking?

For a non-3d intensive environment you can pick up a Athlon 5350 and AM1 board at MicroCenter for $40 combined +tax.

millz

I'm looking at an Intel G3258. At $90 CAD, it's on the high side of my budget. But is this the best CPU I can get for this money?

If I do end up doing any gaming, it'll be gaming I can do with the wife and kids. I've got a decent gaming PC which I use for myself with an aging Radeon 7990 in it.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Honestly, I mean if you're in a tight budget like that, a SSD is not a good idea for now. I'd rather put that SSD budget into the mobo+cpu budget and get something that'll last longer.

millz

My reasoning is that this computer will just be mainly for browsing, so having an $80 SSD will improve operating system functionality much more than sinking the extra 80 bucks into the CPU mobo.

I just recently put an SSD in my gaming machine and it's a world of difference the speed of the operating system.... Not having to wait for programs to load after bootup to begin using browser and such.

Cisco001

What currency are we talking about here?

Assuming CAD$??

Personally will pick G4400 purely due to DDR4 mobo

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($78.98 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($54.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($22.00 @ Vuugo)
Total: $155.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-11 14:28 EDT-0400

Last edited: